Icy Strait Point is looking for Boat Captains for the 2019 season!
Experience the real Alaska at Icy Strait Point!
- Hoonah, Alaska
- $22.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Apr 15, 2019)
Reports to: Product Supervisor Marine Operations
Category: Seasonal (May through September)
Salary Range: Starting at $22 per hour
Location: Icy Strait Point
The overriding responsibility of a boat captain is to SAFELY provide a high-quality experience for anyone being transported by boat at the direction of Icy Strait Point. Captains are expected to be able to provide interpretation and narration for guests departing on excursions and may be required to switch excursion assignments as needed.
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to Icy Strait Point’s guiding principles: Best, Authentic and Profitable Tour Destination.
- Always Captain in a SAFE, responsible manner and keep all equipment in SAFE condition.
- Deliver a first-class experience to all guests and visitors.
- Effective public speaking when addressing guests, crew or the public.
- Ensure compliance with USCG laws and regulations
- Follow all directives and regulations for keeping and maintaining boats in proper operating mode.
- Communicate with supervisor/manager when boats need additional maintenance.
- Must pass USCG pre-employment drug testing as well as random drug testing throughout the season
- Learn and impart knowledge to guests and do site promotion of Icy Strait Point
- Provide excellent customer service to all IPS guests.
- Ensure the safety of all guests on tours.
- Assist guests who need or request assistance in getting on/off boat.
- Participate in all required training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Three years prior experience operating a boat.
- Must hold at a minimum 25-ton USCG certification.
- Thorough knowledge of Coast Guard regulations.
- Have or be able to attain First Aid/CPR certification.
- Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- Must be insurable with Icy Strait Point (DUI, DWI, negligent or reckless driving citations within the past 5 years is uninsurable).
- Pre-employment, random, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion of drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be able to learn a Tlingit Introduction, knowledge or willingness to learn about Tlingit culture.
- Knowledge of the local area (marine life, plants, animals, birds).
- Must have good customer service skills.
- Must have good verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
Icy Strait Point is a Native-owned and operated enterprise and offers Native Preference under P.L.93-638. Applicants must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
How to Apply