Teach Inner City Students About The Great Outdoors
Lake Delavan, Southeast Wisconsin. Within 2 hours of Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee
- Delavan, Wisconsin
- $100.00 / day
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Mar 19, 2018)
Outdoor Education Center in Southeastern WI seeks experienced cabin counselors and trail leaders for Spring 2018.
The students who visit House in the Wood Outdoor Education Center refine their essential life and social skills in a safe outdoor environment. With the instruction of trained staff members, students learn about the natural world and explore various environments including forest, lake and marsh habitats. As a residential Outdoor Education center we provide a complete outdoor experience for inner city students.
During Fall and Spring of the 2017/2018 school year we will host about 400 3rd-12th graders from schools in Chicago, other Illinois cities and Wisconsin. Our partner school (Rowe Elementary School, Chicago IL) will come for six weeks of outdoor education sessions.
· Experience with supervising children
· Experience with teaching outdoor lessons or a desire to learn (We will train you!)
· A positive and friendly attitude with children
· Able to attend pre-session on-site training
· Able to work independently when teaching lessons
· Able to work closely with other staff members
March 19-30th (paid)
April 2nd-June 1st (Optional dates after June 1st)
Trail Leader/Counselor: Trail Leaders are responsible for teaching classes of 15 children (max) our Outdoor Ed curriculum. Trail Leaders also supervise students in the cabin giving them the opportunity to learn and refine essential life skills like communication, cooperation, organization and time management. Training, manuals, equipment, supplies and ongoing support is supplied for all staff. Staff will turn over camp for the next group.
This is a residential position. Staff are ON for arrival of students on Monday through departure on Friday. Staff receive around 2 hours of breaks during the day and another potential 2 hours in the evening.
· Living and working with incredible students and staff in an idyllic lakefront setting
· Extensive Training and Support
· Salary ($100 a day) 5 Day work week
· Tasty Meal and Comfortable Housing
· Free Laundry
· Free Internet Access
· Travel Allowance
Develop and Refine Transferable Job Skills in:
· Meeting Challenges
· Working with Youth
· Group Facilitation
· Creative Problem-Solving
· Childhood Development
· Environmental Education
· and Leadership!
How to Apply
Please e-mail a resume to Danica Depenhart with the subject line TRAIL LEADER JOB. Email to: DDepenhart@nush.org.