Come spend a month in beautiful southeast Alaska at a high-profile fishing lodge!
Unique, Remote, and Wild
- Pelican, Alaska
- $4,500.00 - $5,500.00 / month + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Employment Opportunity for a Breakfast Cook/Baker at high profile SE Alaska Fishing Lodge!
We are a thriving, ambitious fishing lodge and as an expanding business, we are looking for motivated, honest, hardworking & talented individuals. The lodge is located in a remote fishing village. This position required some experience and ideally a background and understanding of seasonal work.
Our season is coming to a close with 6 weeks left but we are already thinking of next season and looking to bring someone on for the last month in hopes to find a Breakfast Cook/Baker or even Sous Chef who would be interested in joining the team for 2023.
Start date is as soon as you could get up here.
You will work under the supervision and direction of the Head Chef. The job description will list items that may or may not be delegated to you by the head chef.
- Cook breakfast for 25-40 fishing guests, buffet style.
- Oversee prep of lunch sandwiches that go out on the boat for the fishing guests (30-40 sandwiches daily)
- Cook breakfast for staff
- Be confident in your ability to bake a variety of deserts
- Assist with kitchen operations: this includes taking inventory, storing food properly (with date & labels), cleaning and organization of all kitchen areas (such as refrigerators, freezers, counters, pots/pans, stoves, and ovens)
- Kitchen staff will include (at minimum) 3 servers, prep cook and head chef
- The breakfast cook / baker is expected to prepare (or be willing to learn) a wide variety of food items, including baked goods and desserts, and ensure that our standards are being upheld
- The breakfast cook / baker is required to follow all health code regulations
- We have an open kitchen that is exposed to our dining area to promote interaction between staff and guests
- You must be personable and capable of working well while in view and within distraction of our guests
- Yelling, arguing and cursing is not tolerated in this area
- You must keep this area reasonably clean and orderly at all times
- The breakfast cook / baker will work with the head chef, owner, lodge manager or another employee designated by the owner to ensure that the owner’s interest in having a first class dining experience at the Highliner Lodge is achieved as efficiently as possible
- Servsafe certification or Alaska Food Handlers Card
- Excellent baking and culinary skills
- Able to work independently
- Able to clearly communicate with co-workers, manager and owners
- Able to complete tasks on a schedule
- Outgoing and courteous with clients and staff
- Able to lift 60 lbs and in good physical condition. Must be able to work on your feet for extended hours.
- Be drug free and a non or very, very light drinker
- Able to live and work in a close environment with co-workers
- Have good organizational skills and superior personal hygiene
- Able to cook creatively with limited resources
- Able to travel on small boats and airplanes.
- Able to withstand extended periods of time in the walk-in freezer
- No drama!
Daily Schedule (split shift):
You must be flexible! First shift, and primary responsibility, is cooking and supervising breakfast service (~6 hours) and prepping dessert for guest dinner but you will also work a second shift (~6 hours) as directed by the head chef. Duties of the second shift may change from day to day. Second shift will be either 1) preparing crew lunch and dinner, or 2) assisting the head chef with guest dinner prep.
Breakfast (Shift 1)
- Arrive at 3:00 am, prepare a hot / cold breakfast buffet with assistance from a kitchen hand
- Dining area opens for coffee at 5:15 am
- First breakfast is served to our fishing guests from 5:30 - 6:00 am
- All fishing guests must be out the door and on their way to the boats no later than 6:20 am
- Second breakfast is served at 6:30 am to the departing guests, staff breakfast is at 7:00 am
- Restaurant and kitchen equipment should be cleaned up by 8:30am
- Bake bread
Crew Lunch / Dinner (Shift 2)
- Preparing crew meals
- Daily lunch service for all staff at the lodge is served at noon at Rosie's Bar & Grill (separate venue)
- We expect the workweek will average 84 hours for the Sous Chef/Breakfast Cook
- We do not guarantee this. There may be times when you will be asked to work more, or less than 84 hours
- Working hours are to be logged on a daily basis on a form provided by Highliner Lodge & Charters. We will request that you submit it on designated days or at the end of the pay period
- There are no promises of any days off
- At the owner’s discretion, from time to time, there will be days with a light workload, or days declared “off”
- Moonlighting: You may not work at any other company or for any other individual in Pelican before or after your normal work at the Highliner Lodge without specific permission from the lodge owner
- You are covered by Worker’s Comp Insurance while at work
- Off-time activities are not covered by Worker’s Comp
We expect superior performance from our employees, in personal hygiene, professional contact with our customers and relations with other employees. The most important factors that we look for when hiring a person is a good attitude and a strong work ethic. If you aren't willing to put in long hours, this is not the place for you. We expect good manners, good grooming and a professional appearance above reproach.
- $4,500 - $5,500 salary (DOE)
- Share of tips (1-5% of overall tip pool, paid at the end of the season)
- End of season bonus / performance bonus / travel bonus
- Rehire bonus every year you come back
- Future opportunities to earn share of profit and vested ownership of properties
- Room & board will be deducted from your monthly paycheck at a rate of $500/month
- Use of laundry facilities
How to Apply
To be considered for this position you must provide ALL of the following:
- Letter of interest
- 3 Professional References
Sorry, NO H2B visa's