Hiring line cooks join our farm-to-table restaurant in beautiful Southern Utah!
On the edge of the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, surrounded by Southern Utah's Parks.
- Boulder, Utah
- $20.00 - $25.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 11, 2024)
Hell's Backbone Grill & Farm, approaching its 25th season, is a James Beard nominated farm-to-table restaurant in Southern Utah. We believe deeply in the importance of organic, locally produced, regionally, and seasonally appropriate cuisine. On our 6.5 acre farm, we grow vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers, and raise hens for eggs, all of which is lovingly cooked and served (or pickled & jammed!) in our restaurant. We rely largely on local ranchers for the grass-fed and finished meat we serve. Our commitments to sustainability and environmental ethics are central to our restaurant and farm.
Being a restaurant on the edge of wilderness, we must be stewards of the land that provides for us. Boulder is a town of 250 people, surrounded by the vast Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, and on a scenic road connecting Southern Utah's National Parks. We are public lands advocates who take seriously our role as environmental and social activists. We have the good fortune to nourish people as they experience this wild and important landscape, so we are committed to using our voice to protect it.
Though we are located in a remote town, Hell's Backbone Grill & Farm is bustling during the season (mid-March through November). The restaurant is a fun and fast-paced work environment, with an emphasis on quality and connection. With a restaurant staff of around 30 people, and a farm team of 4-5, the Hell's Backbone Grill & Farm community is tight-knit and diverse. Our staff works very much as a team, so a willingness to pitch in and good communication skills are a must! Even if you work in the restaurant, we invite and encourage everyone to help out on the farm as much as you want. This can be a great opportunity to learn about growing food, which are skills we believe everyone should have!
We are hiring for a dinner line cook at our James Beard Nominated, Farm-to-Table Restaurant! Kitchen staff at our restaurant have the pleasure of preparing food that they can be proud of - with many of the ingredients sourced from our own farm and local ranchers. Our kitchen prepares everything from scratch - from our handmade bread and biscuits to our jams and pickles, and even our hot sauce. We serve regionally-based cuisine and our menu changes daily to reflect seasonal availability. Having our own farm means that the pace and responsibilities of the kitchen change depending on the time of the season, so we cannot emphasize enough the importance of an open mind and the ability to be flexible!
We are looking for a line cook to help execute and deliver our many and varied recipes in order to provide a memorable dining experience for our guests. The general breakdown of the positions is as follows:
Dinner Line Cooks
- Shift is generally 1:30 pm - 10:30 pm
- Positions include grill, sauté and cold side; most line cooks are cross-trained in these positions. Cooks generally perform one dish shift every week or two.
- In addition to strong cooking skills, line cooks must have a positive relationship to adrenaline, attention to detail, an ability to work as a team, attention to detail, and good communication skills.
- All staff gather with a paid break for family meal prior to service each day.
- Wage of $20-25/hr, depending on experience.
Things to Note:
- We require our staff to be fully vaccinated (and boosted when eligible) against COVID-19
- We are looking to hire full-time staff (40 hrs/week)
- We prioritize applicants who can commit to the entirety of the season (exact dates TBD, but likely mid-March through the end of November)
- There is housing available for rent - please ask for details
- As we are in a remote location with no public transportation, you MUST have a car or motorcycle
- All staff gather for Orientation beginning on Sunday, March 10, 2024 with the opening date of March 15, 2024
We are unable to sponsor H2B visas.