Spend the summer of a lifetime on the Rogue River at Half Moon Bar Lodge and enjoy true wilderness!
Nestled in the Rogue River Wilderness, our off-grid lodge is a true gem.
- Agness, Oregon
- $700.00 / week
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Seeking a Full Time Gardener/Groundskeeper for the privately owned and prestigious Half Moon Bar Lodge on the Rogue River in Oregon. Come explore one of the original eight Wild and Scenic Rivers, and join our small team of 6. We serve small exclusive groups that are adventuring in the Rogue River Canyon.
You will work closely with the whole Lodge team in coordinating and executing Lodge operations to ensure a unique and immersive experience for our guests.
This position provides the direct labor and knowledge to produce food for our kitchen from our two acre garden and orchard.
Our ideal team member is an early riser, kind, efficient, strong, and knowledgeable about vegetable gardening, berry production, and handing of farm equipment. You must have at least 5 years of experience on a commercial farm or operation similar to ours.
We have a newly fenced two acre garden that includes perennial berries, annual vegetables and greens, an orchard of apple, pear, apricot, peach, cherry and plum trees, and a small propagation house.
Clear as mud? Don't worry, we would love to talk to you on the phone to answer your questions and give you more information.
- Providing the direct labor and knowledge to produce food for our kitchen from our two acre garden and orchard
- Prepping soil beds and planting
- Daily attention: watering, weeding, keeping a log book with dates, soil temps, and moisture content
- Working closely with the chef to plan a and cultivate the correct quantities and exceptional quality of produce for farm to table meals
- Irrigating the grounds using a series of big gun sprinklers and hand pipe in rotation
- Mowing 15 acres of grass and airstrip
- Producing food that goes to our table and maintaining an impeccable wilderness landscape
- Maintaining inventory control of supplies
- Maintaining awareness of safety issues and report them immediately to your manager
- Maintaining deer and electric fencing
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. Equivalent required
- 5+ years of experience on a commercial farm or operation similar to ours
- Ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance
- Ability to safely operate ground keeping equipment ie. generator, irrigation pump, riding mower, weed eater, blower, tiller, shovel, and hoe
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to problem solve and make miracles happen on request
- Must be accountable for maintaining a detailed log book of start, transfer, harvest dates, soil temp, soil moisture levels, and other notable details
- Must have the physical ability to climb stairs, move freight, and work outside. It involves lifting and bending repetitively for long periods of time.
- Prioritization and time management skills
- Obtain Oregon Food Handlers Card
- Strong customer service abilities; actively look for ways to assist customers and coworkers
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the garden. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to stand for the entire shift
- Reading and writing work-related documents
- Must be able to self manage time, interpersonal relations, and be a good fit for the team.
Starting pay is $700.00 a week, direct deposited on a biweekly basis. Meals and lodging are provided at no cost to you. Staff usually eats the same food as the guests.
Team members live on the property in staff housing, as there are no roads to the lodge. Staff rooms are private, have new pillowtop mattresses, soft linens, and fluffy pillows. Each room has an amazing view and is newly updated for the 2022 season. The rooms have 24-hour electricity and excellent wifi. The bathroom is shared with up to 4 other staff.
We rely on our jet boat for staff transportation in and out of the property. There is ample parking at the attended boat ramp, we leave all our vehicles there.
Lodging and meals are provided as part of your compensation. With room and board included and nowhere to spend money while you're at the lodge, it is a great way to save for winter travel or financial goals.
Our workday is long and days off are few, as is common with seasonal lodging positions, but we schedule the equivalent to at least one day off per week. There is also the opportunity for up to two weeks of unpaid time off if coordinated before the start of the season--that way a boat can be scheduled and there are enough hands to keep things running in one's absence.
We pool tips and payout at the end of the season. If you leave early you are out of the pool. Life is much better for everyone if the full crew stays the whole season.
Half Moon Bar Lodge is a beautiful place to live and a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world for a few months. You'll spend lots of time outdoors and learn what it takes to bring the off-grid experience with a luxury twist to our guests.
We have world class fishing, hiking, trails, disc golf, stand up paddleboards, and a million places for a hammock, hot afternoons often finding us at the swimming hole, so there is lots to do with your free time. On days off you can access the famous Rogue River Trail, its just across the river. We also have some of the best dark skies in the US for stargazing from our airstrip.
Half Moon Bar Lodge staff are one big semi-functional family. Living and working together cultivates an environment that encourages honesty, accountability, a sense of belonging, and loads of fun. We admit mistakes and call each other out when needed; this is one of our core values, and we find it works well.
There is no cell service, but we have Starlink satellite internet to stay in touch with the outside world. It is darn fast. Fast enough to stream in HD or to Video Chat/FaceTime with loved ones.
No pets, we have the world's greatest Lodge dog named Roma; she is a little bit famous. However you can not bring your pets nor can guests bring pets. We love all animals, but especially our resident herd of deer. They are used to Roma, but disappear for days when other dogs come on property.
Half Moon Bar Lodge has multiple positions available for the 2022 season. Couples are encouraged to apply as a team for two of the available positions. If you’re interested in this, lets chat!
For the safety and security of all our guests, our staff is fully vaccinated against Covid 19.
From Gold Beach, OR it’s about an hour drive to Foster Bar where you meet the Half Moon Bar Lodge jet boat, which will take you the rest of the way. We rely on our jet boat for staff transportation in and out of the property. There is ample parking at Foster Bar, we leave all of our vehicles there.
You are responsible for reaching Foster Bar on time for your scheduled jet boat and will stay through the season with the exception of previously scheduled weeks off or emergencies.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local law.
How to Apply
To apply, send us an email, and be sure to include your resume and a couple of paragraphs about you! If you have a partner who is interested in one of our other available positions, please include that information in your email.