Experience Florida's Charm and Beauty through leading exciting Everglades adventures!
Ivey House is a top-rated lodging facility in Everglades City, FL
- The Ivey House, Florida
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 2 months (Oct 15, 2018)
Do you love the Everglades and want a new experience. Are you a master at kayaking and canoeing? If so, this position may be for you!
We are looking for a guide to lead canoe/kayak tours in the Everglades.
The Guide/Maintenance leads canoe/kayak tours, providing excellent customer service; and is responsible for basic maintenance work.
- Lead canoe/kayak tours. Give orientation to the Everglades ecology as well as the history, geography, geology, flora and fauna of the area to guests and others. Provide a factual and enjoyable guided trip which is interpretive in nature to the guests visiting the area. Oversee day guide trip supplies including and not limited to first aid boxes, and necessary snacks. Assume responsibility for the safety of group.
- Repair and maintain quality control of rental equipment. Clean boats and equipment. Load canoes and kayaks onto trailers and on top of vehicles. Drive vehicles towing a trailer to various locations to drop off and pick up guests.
- Maintain the grounds, equipment, and external/internal building. Trim and prune tree branches. Pull and remove weeds, mow lawns, and maintain landscaping. Paint and make repairs as needed/directed. Repair plumbing as needed.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- High School or GED; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Background in environmental education, outdoor recreation or interpretation either by academic classes or gained through experience.
- First aid and CPR certification. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Ability to drive a 15 passenger van with trailer. Previous experience with canoes, kayaks, and related gear.
- Computer proficiency with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated talent for interacting with a wide variety of people; ability to effectively organize and coordinate multiple priorities; ability to learn and develop new skills; ability to problem solve. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 25 lbs. regularly, 30-35 lbs. frequently, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to stand for the entire work day and to climb steps regularly.
- Withstanding temperature extremes and inclement outdoor weather.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English.
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and the ability to speak clearly so that you can be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties.
- Ability to swim.
- Ability to canoe and kayak.
- Marina and dock maintenance equipment. 15 passenger van with trailer.
- Canoe and kayak equipment.
- Power and hand tools.
- Lawn mower, weed eater and other groundskeeper tools
Guest Services offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including Paid Time Off and a generous 401(k) Match.
Veterans, Minorities, People with Disabilities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.