Join our team and go from Sea level to See level!
Glaciers, bears, eagles, whales, rainforest...
- year round
- Juneau, Alaska
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Tired of working at sea level? Join our management team at Goldbelt Tram and enjoy working at a cool 1800 foot elevation! A daily Tram ride with views of a fjord... not a bad commute, right?
Goldbelt Tram is hiring for a Tram Maintenance Technician to join our Maintenance team. This is a year-round benefited position with competitive pay.
Performs (at the semi-skilled level) preventative maintenance and repairs to the aerial tramway and lift. Shall practice good housekeeping, emphasizing avoiding the development of any condition that might contribute to personal injury. Shall comply with the operational rules and regulations of the Mt. Roberts Tramway
- Using tools designed per the manufacturers' specifications performs preventative maintenance and repairs to the tramway's mechanical components or electrical systems in accordance with ANSI codes; continually expands the scope of skills while learning from the Tram Maintenance Supervisor;
- Ensures that a signed complete log is maintained wherein the actual execution of work shall be recorded. The register shall state the components serviced and the condition of the components. A record shall be kept of replacement components;
- Assists in expediting materials needed to do preventative maintenance and repairs;
- Familiarizes self with lift, maintenance, and operational procedures; learns and follows proper safety procedures at all times when performing maintenance work; uses proper safety equipment (i.e., harnesses, when climbing towers or riding on top of tram cars); applies or uses lock-out procedures to prevent unexpected start-up and damage to equipment and systems;
- Ensures that his/her training is kept current with common industry techniques and practices in emergency rope evacuation, emergency care evacuation, emergency drive operation, standby drive operation, top terminal generator operation, bottom terminal generator operation, and rescue winch operation. Provides, or assists with the provision of, training of same to designated employees with the subsequent recording of activity; keeps current on proper emergency procedures to be followed and critical employees to contact as the emergency response team;
- May work on special facility projects as needed;
- Authorized to discontinue operations of the aerial tramway due to physical, adverse weather, personnel, or other reasons;
- To deny access to the aerial tramway to any person; using procedures and criteria provided;
- To oversee operational procedures and adherence to applicable regulations pertaining to the aerial tramway;
- When necessary due to personnel understaffing, unexpected absences, or emergencies, may perform the duties of a Tram Operator or Tram Attendant; on-call during the regular Tram operating season and will assist the Director of Maintenance and Operations when needed;
- Assumes responsibilities of Tram Maintenance Supervisor during his/her absences;
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to physically climb out of the tramway cabin under the direction of the Director of Maintenance and Operations and/or Tram Maintenance Supervisor.
- Ability to physically rope evacuate passengers and self from the cabin.
- Ability to read and interpret tramway and lift blueprints, manuals, and warranty requirements
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to learn, understand, and follow verbal and manual instructions; work independently and as a self-starter.
- General knowledge of mechanics, electrical controls, hydraulics, wire-ropes, and preventative maintenance procedures of aerial lifts or tramways.
- Skill in the operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software.
- Working knowledge/familiarity with tram operations systems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance daily.
- Ability/willingness to learn and pass on to passengers those areas of interest to visitors, such as local history, people, culture, geography, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent, AND
- Five (5) years of semi-skilled work or advanced apprenticeship level experience in the electrical or mechanical field of work, performing general repairs and ongoing maintenance.
- Current CPR/AED and first aid certificates; drug testing may be required, or the ability to obtain as soon as training is available.
- Current Rope Access and Fall Protection certificate or ability to obtain as soon as training is available.
- Prior tram maintenance experience.
Aerial tramway, lift, and terminal environment (2000 ft. elevation); extreme heights and dangerous overhead work areas exposed to inclement weather conditions; extremely dangerous electrical and/or mechanical conditions and equipment.
Routine movement in/out of an aerial tramway cabin as part of an aerial tramway and lift operation at a 2000 ft. elevation; constant public interaction and communication; constant exposure to extreme heights; periodic exposure to dangerous equipment during emergency evacuations or power failures.
During emergency evacuations or equipment failure, expected to assist management. Must be able to hike trails to assist management in various emergencies (e.g., medical, missing persons, etc.) Must be able to lift and/or move up to 100 lbs. of different tram equipment/supplies. The Tram is a non-smoking facility with designated outside smoking areas.
The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms. Frequent climbing, stooping, kneeling, and bending are required. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This job's specific vision abilities include distance vision, close vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to enter, exit, and ride an aerial tramway to reach the upper worksite