Join our team and go from Sea level to See level!
Glaciers, bears, eagles, whales, rainforest...
- year round
- Juneau, Alaska
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Tired of working at sea level? Join our management team at Goldbelt Tram and enjoy working at a cool 1800 foot elevation! A daily Tram ride with views of a fjord... not a bad commute, right?
Goldbelt Tram is hiring for a Food and Beverage Manager to lead operations of our restaurant and bar at the top of the Tram. Enjoy epic views while meeting guests from all over the world!
Responsible for managing, hiring, and supervising retail operations along with staff located in all areas of Goldbelt Tram. Also responsible for maintaining the online retail website.
- Responsible for all retail operations management including budgeting, inventory control (merchandise purchasing, receiving, stocking, and display), staffing, and profitability.
- Supervises the daily operations of the Tramway retail enterprises and staff, including opening/closing the shop facilities, and scheduling staff’s weekly work assignments.
- Interacts with vendors and customers in-person via e-mail, text and telephone.
- Maintains the security of the retail facilities
- Maintains and reconciles accounts and reports daily cash receipts. Resolves computer problems which may involve transactions and reporting issues.
- Determines and implements daily operating procedures; ensures staff are informed of characteristics, artists, background, etc. of art and items for sale.
- Exercises supervisory authority over retail and gift shop staff at the Tramway terminal locations, including responsibility for recruitment, screening, hiring, training, evaluation, discipline, and termination activities in consultation with the Director of Sales & Service, or in their absence, the General Manager.
- Assists with business development,and marketing plans, and strategies that contribute to product sales, profitability, and excellent customer service skills for staff.
- Maintains availability to work 7 days a week, as needed.
- Analyzes accounts, interprets financial and statistical interrelationships, and prepares financial management and budget reports.
- May be required to give oral presentations to the public, guests, and/or staff.
- Travels periodically to retail trade shows to assist with product selections for retail sales.
- Assists in drafting, negotiating, and administering contracts pertaining to the purchasing and sale of retail products.
- Responsible for continued growth and development of online retail sales.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- In-depth knowledge of Alaska tourism industry/markets as related to retail products and Native art sales, including product and buyer characteristics of traditional art objects.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to develop retail sales plans and increase business development opportunities.
- Ability to instruct/train, evaluate, and motivate subordinate employees related to both retail sales and tram operations.
- Excellent skills in operating retail point of sale systems (RMH), and personal computers utilizing a variety of computer software including the Microsoft suite of office applications.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with wholesale vendors and other employees.
- Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance on a daily basis.
- Ability/willingness to learn and pass on to passengers those areas of interest to visitors, such as local history, people, culture, geography, etc.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
- High school diploma or equivalent, AND
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in retail, including at least one year in a supervisor or manager role.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Business, Accounting, or closely related field
- Three (3) years’ experience as a retail manager or supervisor.
Aerial tramway, lift and terminal environment (1800 ft. elevation); extreme heights and dangerous overhead work areas exposed to inclement weather conditions; extremely dangerous electrical and/or mechanical conditions and equipment.
Routine movement in/out of an aerial tramway cabin as part of an aerial tramway and lift operation at 1800 ft. elevation; constant public interaction and communication; constant exposure to extreme heights; periodic exposure to dangerous equipment during emergency evacuations or power failures.
During emergency evacuations or equipment failure, expected to assist management. Must be able to hike trails to assist management in various emergencies (e.g., medical, missing persons, etc.) Must be able to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs. of various tram equipment/supplies. The Tram is a non-smoking facility with designated outside-smoking areas.