Family-run Whale Watching & hiking company seeks Operations professional!
Gastineau Guiding - Family Run for 27+ years!
- Juneau, Alaska
- $4,500.00 / month
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (Jan 03, 2022)
Position Title: Operations Manager
Position Type: Full Time
Position Season: 10 months (January – October) preferred; 9-12 months negotiable, depending on the preference of the candidate
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a scheduling genius with a good sense of humor. Someone that thrives in creating organization from chaos. Someone who understands that no two people can be managed the same way, and that’s what makes our team great. Someone that can withstand consistent interruption but maintain some semblance of focus on their computer-based work. Someone who appreciates that, as a family-run business, we operate as an ‘all hands-on deck’ team – everyone supports each other and shares responsibilities as needed.
- Must have management experience (at a manager or assistant level)
- Adequate computer literacy - an aptitude for Microsoft Word & Excel a must, experience with databases a bonus
- Must type a minimum of 20 WPM
- Must hold a valid driver’s license, with a clean driving record
- Should be able to work in environments with variable noise levels
- Must be able to lift to 30 lbs & be on your feet for 2-4 hours at a time
DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Under the supervision of the General Manager, the Operations Manager will assist with all aspects of our 10 boat, 30+ vehicle, 100+ employee seasonal operation including but not limited to: hiring, on-boarding, scheduling & DOT/USCG/FMCSA compliance.
Typical responsibilities include the following:
- Daily supervision of our small team of schedulers, including ‘double check’ of our complex daily schedule to ensure peak optimization of staff and equipment time
- Manages staff scheduling requests, time off requests & other daily staff needs
- Oversight & daily use of our custom Microsoft Access Database
- Manages accident/incident reporting & driver/guide log reporting
- Supports Sales & Marketing Manager as needed with private trip reservations, sales calls or events & cruise line tour scheduling
- Supports Office Manager as needed with employee onboarding paperwork, fleet compliance & vessel compliance
- Primary winter-month responsibilities center on assisting the GM with employee recruitment & interviewing
- Required to obtain a commercial driver’s license to support daily tour schedule as needed
Winter months (January – March) have a predictable & flexible 30-40 per week, 9-5-type schedule. Summer season months (April – October) require a more flexible working schedule, with occasional early shifts (starting at 6 AM) *or* late shifts (ending at 10 PM). Like our other management positions, this position will be busiest April – July of each year, as we get the season started up.
Pay Range & Benefits: $4500/month. Health care is available for all year round staff. Time off is paid and very flexible, but the amount ultimately depends on the number of months this position works (9-12, depending on employee preference). Time off must be primarily scheduled outside peak season months.
Check out our CoolWorks profile for more information about our company, our seasonal staff & living/working in Juneau, Alaska.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and brief personal description - with emphasis on your experience supervising humans - to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hardly ever hire for permanent, year round positions - so don't hesitate to call and chat with us about your questions. We're happy to talk! We just want this to be a good fit for everyone involved.