Luxury Fly Fishing Ranch in Montana
We are located just 18 miles from Yellowstone National Park on the south shore of Hebgen Lake.
- Outside of West Yellowstone, Montana
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 1 month (Jan 01, 2018)
Job Description: Operations Manager
Firehole Ranch is a premier fly fishing lodge located outside of West Yellowstone, Montana, offering guests incomparable access to world-class waters, gourmet western cuisine and a historic private lodge and cabins. The Ranch sits on 640 acres on the shores of Hebgen Lake and is open for 16 weeks catering to 20 guests, offering detail-oriented service and consistency of excellence, which is a hallmark of the Ranch’s reputation and what results in our high guest satisfaction. Sustaining this standard of excellence and growing the Ranch requires team members who are hard working, have strong attention to detail, a positive can-do attitude, dynamic personality, enjoy people and are self-motivated.
Firehole Ranch prides itself on providing positive experiences for not only our guests, but also our staff, the communities that surround us and the environment. For the short season we are open, staff come together as a team to deliver an amazing experience to our guests. In addition to working hard, the staff have an array of recreational opportunities and time off during the week to enjoy them.
The Operations Manager is a member of the senior management team at the Ranch. The team consists of the Owner, Operations Manager and the Guest Services/ Marketing Manager. The Operations Manager position is demanding and involves a wide array of interpersonal and management skills. Most important is the Operations Manager’s attention to detail, development of lasting relationship with guests and his/her ability to hire, train, motivate and successfully manage staff.
Throughout the season the Operations Manager is the Ranch’s 24/7 on-site manager. He/she is personally responsible for the quality of the guest experience and is a mentor to approximately 30 seasonal staff. In conjunction with the owner he/she is also responsible for oversight of on-going maintenance and improvement of Ranch property.
- Responsible for the development, execution, and refinement of all daily programs.Such programs include the fly fishing program, retail shop, housekeeping, dining room, grounds, maintenance, horse program, and kitchen.
- Working closely with the Firehole Ranch Owner to keep her apprised of, and engaged in, all significant management decisions including, but not limited to, meeting on a twice weekly basis and additionally as needed to discuss issues and management decisions regarding guests, staff, budget and expenditure matters, etc.
- With the Firehole Ranch Owner, manage the professional “care and feeding” of the staff. Hiring, training, supervision and oversight of all staff including establishing schedules, updating of policies and procedures and communication of same, monitoring staff well-being, conducting periodic reviews and counseling sessions, assessing productivity and effectiveness, promoting teamwork, and serving as a character and professional role model for staff, (i.e. modeling the behaviors that lead to success, personal growth and effectiveness with people).
- Works with Guest Services Manager and Head Guide to assign guests to fishing guides.
- Active involvement in the guest experience.Being present at guest functions, finding ways to spend time with guests, establishing and maintaining a visible, proactive, caring presence with the guests.
- Management of the FHR physical plant.Responsible for the smooth functioning, cleanliness and “sharp” appearance of FHR.Staying on top of how the Ranch looks and making sure that all department heads assist in the areas needing improvement.
- Managing the ongoing process of risk management throughout every aspect of the FHR operation.Organize staff first aid training, conduct on-going training for the various departments throughout the season, assess the ranch’s abilities and readiness for risk situations that may arise.
- Manage all land use related relationships with private and public agencies.Report land use information to agencies and ensure timely, accurate payment of fees.
- Responsible for opening ranch in spring when weather permits.Opening buildings, prioritizing maintenance needs and training staff.
- Responsible for closing ranch after operations are shut down.Ensure all buildings, grounds and systems are thoroughly cleaned, put away and winterized for the shut-down period.
- Manage the financial well-being of the operation.Based on the season’s projected revenue and actual reservations, manage the expenses of the operation to attain a positive bottom line.Supervise the accounting practices of the operation and monitor the financials on a frequent basis in order to be proactive in maintaining a sound budget.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must have the following experience, qualifications and skills:
- A track record of having successfully managed a staff of permanent and seasonal employees at a high-end and demanding operation.
- A demonstrated background in maintaining a financially successful organization; ability to prepare and implement a budget, to read and understand financial documents, and make recommendations and take action to execute a solid business plan.
- A background that demonstrates superior problem solving ability and the ability to forge strong, productive professional relationships.
- Evidence that points to her/his having successfully sustained and extended the cultural ”magic” of an unusual organization where the “guest experience” is a key internal and external selling proposition.
- Demonstrated communications strengths that served to inform, enlighten, and educate others.
- The ability to foster and extend community relationships.
- Experience in the hospitality industry where scheduling, priority setting, organizational skills, and the personal touch were keys to success.
- A track record of having developed and grown the people he/she has managed. Also a history that indicates her/his ability to hire great people and to find ways to make them even better.
- Examples of where his/her ability to both innovate and motivate directly enhanced the success of an organization.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Valid driver’s license.
Compensation: Salary DOE
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.