Do you believe in the power of wild places?
Live and work bounded by an untamed wilderness.
- Circleville, West Virginia
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Aug 23, 2022)
Nestled in the heart of Appalachia lies Experience Learning, a 400-acre high preserve located just below the base of the highest mountain in West Virginia, Spruce Knob. Are you ready to return to the way forests were meant to be? With minimal trail systems and a million acres of National Forest, instructors will lead participants on adventures they never knew possible. Become a part of our amazing team and provide others the opportunity to unplug and get back outside into their natural world. Want to see where this wild and wonderful place exists and who we are? Click here!
Beyond the classroom, education is at the core of Experience Learning programs. We believe providing students collaborative learning opportunities through real outdoor adventure to be one of the best ways to build confidence and discover potential.
The Ideal Field Instructor is:
A Jack or Jill-of-all-Trades with a strong work ethic and keen judgment. Their primary responsibility is to lead high-quality education and adventure-based experiential education courses in remote and challenging settings. While living and working on-site, instructors will also assist with program and rental support in an “on-call” role and with the upkeep of a 400-acre facility that includes multiple buildings, a fleet of vehicles, fields, and woodlands.
- Teach and lead groups in the outdoors, in varying weather conditions, and on uneven terrain
- Lead 1-8 day residential and field-based programs in challenging settings that include hiking, canoeing, stewardship activities, orienteering, caving, backpacking, and climbing components
- Maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for students and guests
- Prepare and deliver hands-on, experiential, and inquiry-based lessons in a remote outdoor setting for both day and evening programs
- Facilitate team and community-building activities within groups
- Implement and model excellent risk management strategies and administer first aid as needed
- Prepare facilities and gear before trips and clean facilities and gear at the end of trips
Program/Rental Support (25%)
- Prepare and cook meals for visiting schools and rental groups under the supervision of the Kitchen Manager.
- Maintain a professional demeanor while interacting with groups and guests
- Be on the rotating “on-call” schedule (during on-call weeks, Resident Instructors serve as the primary liaison for schools, events, and other facility guests)
- Assist with facility upkeep as needed, including basic carpentry, repairs, road and vehicle maintenance, animal husbandry, landscaping, and general troubleshooting
- Ability to drive 12-15 passenger vans (or the ability to learn)
The ideal candidate would have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree OR equivalent experience
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification (not required but preferred, WFR certification is available on-site August 15-24 2022)
- Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications required
- Valid driver’s license
- Effective communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to change gears between varied tasks
- Teaching experience, either formal or informal
- Ability to confidently lead groups in a remote outdoor setting
- Desire to teach and work with young people from varying social and economic backgrounds
- Working knowledge of the natural sciences
- Experience working in the outdoors, especially in inclement weather
- Desire to be an ambassador for Experience Learning and mountain ecosystems in general
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends
- Positive attitude and unassailable work ethic
- Desire to live in a remote place with an outstanding community of outdoor professionals and to work hard to make positive change in our world
Employee Perks and Benefits:
- Shared Housing
- Meals during programming
- Pay: Merit based pay scale. Seasonal staff $65-$105/day (average staff member usually starts around $85/day)
- Accrue one sick day per month worked
- Opportunities for organizational advancement
- Access to company pro deals
How to Apply
To apply please head to our website via the link below!