Recreation Assistant Onsite Manager Needed Just Outside Yosemite
Located Just Outside Yosemite National Park
- Groveland, California
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
The Recreation Department’s Assistant Onsite Manager will work closely with the Recreation Department Director to ensure that the recreation activities and sales desk will run smoothly from guest, business and staffing levels. Specific responsibilities include ensuring that Recreation Sales Desk Staff are knowledgeable, empowered, and excited in regards to their duties, and recreation reservation procedures and processes run smoothly and efficiently. This position will allow the Assistant Onsite Manager to be exposed to and learn all aspects of the business while maintaining consistent guest contact, providing guests information and to arrange their guided recreation.
The ideal individual is excited to support the development of an exceptional, professionally run, friendly and fun recreation program and embraces working in a rustic environment in a relationship-oriented business.
Ideal qualifications include:
- Education: BA/BS in Recreation Management, Natural Science or other pertinent field and/or extensive experience with program development in an outdoor or resort setting
- Minimum 2 years of management and/or leadership experience.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Able to pass mandatory initial drug test and random periodic drug tests as dictated by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)
- Exceptional group leadership skills
- Minimum First Aid and CPR certified
- Excellent communication skills
- Independent thinker with great initiative, but comfortable working within a defined framework
- Knowledge of Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada is ideal but not required
- Outdoor experience including extensive personal trips and general outdoor knowledge
- including flora, fauna, navigation and safety preferred
- Knowledge of “Leave No Trace” ethics and wilderness regulations
Key personality traits:
- High integrity
- Guest service oriented and staff-focused
- Mature, personable leader with a relaxed nature
- Execution oriented; enjoys hands-on implementation
- Leading a healthy, drug-free lifestyle
- Dynamic, fun, and responsible
Essential Job Functions:
- Works with Recreation Manager on fulfillment of onsite department needs & goals
- Participation in departmental strategy discussions and determination of annual goals & priorities
- Recreation Sales Desk Staff relations, meetings & team development
- Develops and submits monthly onsite activities calendar and executes existing onsite guest activities including holiday celebrations
- Manages logistics and supplies for all onsite recreation activities and crafts
- Maintains guest relations by providing information to visitors and arranging guided recreation
- Refines and maintains auditing procedure for the guided trip reservation system.
Works with Recreation Department Manager to help drive departmental evolution, including leading specific projects:
- Improving Recreation Sales Desk staff training
- Improving sales and promotional strategies & efforts
- Developing new lodge activities, including creating Assistant Onsite Manager’s own featured educational activity/presentation
- Development of new organization-wide staff team building and employee wellness experiences
- Acting Department and Staff Manager when Recreation Manager is unavailable
Recreation Sales Desk staff reviews & disciplining
- Staff Training (key role in Sales Desk training)
- Full time position available immediately
- Position can be year-round or seasonal
- Room and board available for fixed weekly cost both Onsite and Offsite
- Hours variable, including nights and weekends as well as situational/crisis availability; a regular schedule with specific days off will be established
- Healthcare benefits available after 90 days
- 401K eligible with company match after 1 year
ABOUT THE EVERGREEN LODGE
The Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite is located on 22 acres bordering Yosemite National Park. The lodge is highly recommended by Fodor's, called a 'Hidden Gem' by Sunset Magazine, and described by Frommer's as "the classic Yosemite experience." Built in 1921, Evergreen Lodge has always featured cabins in the woods, a retail store, an excellent restaurant and a classic tavern. In 2002, the lodge was purchased and underwent a major expansion and modernization, reopening in 2004 with 48 new guest cabins, guest facilities, recreation programs and both on/off-site staff and manager housing. The lodge again expanded in 2009, adding 24 additional guest cabins (for a total of 90) and completing a variety of facilities and public space upgrades. The expanded Evergreen retains its original warmth, character and personal touch while providing the best all-around lodging and recreational facilities in the Yosemite area. The Evergreen provides great career opportunities for talented staff and managers. Since the lodge has a significant recreational focus, we seek staff and managers who are excited about the outdoors and lead a healthy, active lifestyle.
ABOUT RUSH CREEK LODGE
Rush Creek Lodge is the first new resort to join the Yosemite area in decades, and is located just 1/2 mile from Yosemite's Highway 120 entrance and 7 miles from the Evergreen Lodge. Set on 20 woodland acres, this hillside 'destination within a destination' boasts a grand main lodge and a mix of 143 lodge rooms, suites and two-bedroom hillside villas, all featuring a deck overlooking nature, the majority with sunset views. Rush Creek also offers a restaurant, tavern, expansive pool area with poolside bar, game room, guest lounge, event space, guided recreation and more. Like Evergreen, Rush Creek provides gracious and friendly service, top quality facilities with both private and communal settings, and a wide array of activities for guests to enjoy their time at the lodge and to explore the Yosemite area. Rush Creek is able to expand the Youth Program, environmental mission, and meaningful approach to hospitality that began at Evergreen Lodge. And like Evergreen, Rush Creek offers both on and off-site housing for staff and managers.
EVERGREEN & RUSH CREEK'S INTERN PROGRAM
In addition to its primary function as tourist Lodges, the Evergreen & Rush Creek run a Youth Employment Program in which 18-24 year-old young adults from urban backgrounds join our staff for a program of career-oriented training and work experience in a healthy, supportive community, coupled with exposure to outdoor and recreational life experiences.
Although providing a great guest experience is our first priority, our Intern Program is central to what we do at the both Lodges, and we are proud to run an enterprise with both a business and a social mission. Our Program's success hinges on our ability to find exceptional managers and hourly staff who provide support and mentoring for our interns. Those who are most successful and happy at the Evergreen & Rush Creek are genuinely excited about helping others and feel our Intern Program enriches their job, rather than adding an additional burden to an already challenging operating role.
Evergreen Lodge is also a founding Certified B Corporation, having met rigorous, independent standards of social and environmental performance. Rush Creek has also become a certified B Corporation as well, working like the Evergreen to use business as a force for good.
Both lodges also host an innovative onsite hospitality apprenticeship degree program in partnership with our local community college, providing yet another vehicle for social impact. The combination of hospitality, recreation, culture, idyllic setting, environmental sensibility and social mission make the lodges very special and unique places.
For more information about the Evergreen, visit our website at www.evergreenlodge.com.
For more information about Rush Creek, visit our website at www.rushcreeklodge.com.
How to Apply
Click APPLY NOW link to learn more and apply online