Executive Chef near Yosemite National Park
Located on the border of Yosemite
- Evergreen Lodge, California
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Aug 01, 2019)
The Executive Chef is the head of our Culinary Department at the lodge and a key management position. The Executive Chef is responsible for departmental profitability, management of main kitchen & production kitchen staff, menu development, restaurant serving periods, catered events and staff meals.
The Executive Chef supervises all culinary operations and the Culinary Management Team to ensure lodge guests have a fantastic dining experience. Our Chef also oversees the Production Kitchen Manager who supervises daily staff meals, general store deli and other food production functions. The staff dining program serves over one hundred total staff during peak season.
The Executive Chef works closely with the Lodge General Manager in coordinating and executing Lodge operations and supporting all departments at the Lodge as needed. The Executive Chef is also highly involved in supporting our youth employment program.
The lodge provides full breakfast, sit down and to go lunches and dinner in our main restaurant, tavern and outdoor dining room. The lodge prides itself in serving fresh, health conscience & creative ‘California Lodge Cuisine’ that far exceeds guest expectations given our remote setting. Most of our in-house guests eat with us in our relaxed mountain environment each night along with most of locals. To learn more about our restaurant and recent menus, please see our website.
The lodge is a coveted wedding venue catering to customized weddings, regular and other group business each year in various venues throughout the lodge property. This wedding and small group focus adds additional creative opportunities to the Executive Chef role, which is supported by our Catering Chef.
Our ideal Executive Chef is creative, experienced, mature, self motivated and excited to develop a friendly & professional staff environment and embraces working hands on at high culinary level in a rustic environment.
Ideal qualifications include:
- Extensive experience managing a busy kitchen, including financial management
- Strong culinary training (formal and/or informal) and knowledge of fresh California style cuisine
- Significant menu design experience
- Excited about creating a warm family atmosphere for staff while maintaining high standards
- Strong interest in training/coaching and in supporting our youth mission
- Wedding or similar high-end catering experience
- Hospitality or related experience
- Independent thinker with great initiative, but comfortable working within a defined framework
Key personality traits:
- High integrity and creativity
- Guest service oriented and staff-focused
- Self-motivated (takes initiative) with high standards
- Mature, personable leader with a relaxed nature
- Execution oriented; enjoys hands-on implementation
- Leading a healthy, drug-free lifestyle
- Dynamic, fun, and likes the outdoors
- Flexible with a “whatever it takes” attitude
- Patience, patience, patience
Key responsibilities include:
- Creating a fun, friendly culture and a high service standard
- Building an energized, well trained, technique driven team
- Warm & friendly guest interaction including table visits, special events appearances, cordial correspondence, etc.
- Scheduling, training and managing kitchen staff
- Interviewing, hiring and reviewing kitchen staff
- Coordinating daily with Tavern & Restaurant managers/staff
- Communicating effectively and maintaining a close working relationship with the General Manager as well as the kitchen management and lodge leadership teams
- Actively supporting our youth employment and development program
- Defining, costing and pricing all restaurant and tavern menus
- Managing department profitability
- Working hands-on on a daily basis
- Coordinating and executing catering functions and special events
- Establishing structured processes & enforcing restaurant standards, programs and procedures
- Training and ongoing oversight in food quality, cleanliness & hygiene standards
- Establishing and overseeing strong safety standards
- Ordering, receiving and relationship management for vendors/purveyors
- Storage and inventory management training/standards
- Devising and executing operational enhancements
- Maintaining kitchen equipment and supplies
- Reviewing and reporting kitchen staff hours
- Actively managing day to day labor and overtime
- Managing and coding of invoices and preparing food inventories/transfers
- Monitoring actual and theoretical food costs
- Improving profitability
- Supporting other Lodge departments and managers as needed
- Full time salaried position (including quarterly profitability bonus)
- Evergreen in a remote location and housing options are available both onsite & offsite. Our local community is home to many key managers and their families as well.
- Compensation based on experience
- Hours variable, including nights and weekends and all holidays, as well as situational/crisis availability; a regular schedule with specific, set days off will be established
- Drug testing required in support of the healthy work and living environment we strive to create
- Healthcare benefits available after 90 days
- 401K eligible with company match after 1 year
ABOUT THE EVERGREEN LODGE
The Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite is located on 22 acres bordering Yosemite National Park. The lodge is highly recommended by Fodor's, called a 'Hidden Gem' by Sunset Magazine, and described by Frommer's as "the classic Yosemite experience." Built in 1921, Evergreen Lodge has always featured cabins in the woods, a retail store, an excellent restaurant and a classic tavern. In 2002, the lodge was purchased and underwent a major expansion and modernization, reopening in 2004 with 48 new guest cabins, guest facilities, recreation programs and both on/off-site staff and manager housing. The lodge again expanded in 2009, adding 24 additional guest cabins (for a total of 90) and completing a variety of facilities and public space upgrades. The expanded Evergreen retains its original warmth, character and personal touch while providing the best all-around lodging and recreational facilities in the Yosemite area. The Evergreen provides great career opportunities for talented staff and managers. Since the lodge has a significant recreational focus, we seek staff and managers who are excited about the outdoors and lead a healthy, active lifestyle.
ABOUT RUSH CREEK LODGE
Rush Creek Lodge is the first new resort to join the Yosemite area in decades, and is located just 1/2 mile from Yosemite's Highway 120 entrance and 7 miles from the Evergreen Lodge. Set on 20 woodland acres, this hillside 'destination within a destination' boasts a grand main lodge and a mix of 143 lodge rooms, suites and two-bedroom hillside villas, all featuring a deck overlooking nature, the majority with sunset views. Rush Creek also offers a restaurant, tavern, expansive pool area with poolside bar, game room, guest lounge, event space, guided recreation and more. Like Evergreen, Rush Creek provides gracious and friendly service, top quality facilities with both private and communal settings, and a wide array of activities for guests to enjoy their time at the lodge and to explore the Yosemite area. Rush Creek is able to expand the Youth Program, environmental mission, and meaningful approach to hospitality that began at Evergreen Lodge. And like Evergreen, Rush Creek offers both on and off-site housing for staff and managers.
EVERGREEN & RUSH CREEK'S INTERN PROGRAM
In addition to its primary function as tourist Lodges, the Evergreen & Rush Creek run a Youth Employment Program in which 18-24 year-old young adults from urban backgrounds join our staff for a program of career-oriented training and work experience in a healthy, supportive community, coupled with exposure to outdoor and recreational life experiences.
Although providing a great guest experience is our first priority, our Intern Program is central to what we do at the both Lodges, and we are proud to run an enterprise with both a business and a social mission. Our Program's success hinges on our ability to find exceptional managers and hourly staff who provide support and mentoring for our interns. Those who are most successful and happy at the Evergreen & Rush Creek are genuinely excited about helping others and feel our Intern Program enriches their job, rather than adding an additional burden to an already challenging operating role.
Evergreen Lodge is also a founding Certified B Corporation, having met rigorous, independent standards of social and environmental performance. Rush Creek has also become a certified B Corporation as well, working like the Evergreen to use business as a force for good.
Both lodges also host an innovative onsite hospitality apprenticeship degree program in partnership with our local community college, providing yet another vehicle for social impact. The combination of hospitality, recreation, culture, idyllic setting, environmental sensibility and social mission make the lodges very special and unique places.
For more information about the Evergreen, visit our website at www.evergreenlodge.com.
For more information about Rush Creek, visit our website at www.rushcreeklodge.com.
How to Apply