This position plays a key role in the repairs and maintenance of the property.
Located in Big Sur, California
- Big Sur, California
- $19.00 - $25.00 / hour
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
At Esalen, we believe in the power of our potential -- both in our staff and in our global community of students and faculty who turn to us for transformative learning experiences. More than 50 years ago, Esalen co-founders imagined a place inspired by Abraham Maslow’s psychology of peak experiences and Aldous Huxley’s belief in “human potentialities”, the unrealized capacities of our mind and body. Today we build on this legacy by creating deep connections in a world challenged by disconnection and isolation; reigniting awe and wonder to spark greater curiosity about ourselves and others, and asking the questions that can lead to transformative change both for an individual and society.
Esalen isn’t just a place to work, it’s an invitation to help change the world.
- This position plays a key role in the repairs and maintenance of the property, carries out the preventative maintenance program as directed, and supports repair and renovation projects. This position is full-time and reports to the Director of Operations.
- Assist Facilities Department as needed
- Perform basic carpentry work, and electrical and plumbing repairs in a neat and orderly way
- Paint buildings, equipment, and machinery, using both latex and oil
- Monitor and perform basic repairs/preventative maintenance on baths, pool, filtration systems, sewer, and drain lines
- Complete guest room preventative maintenance programs, including checking furniture and electrical system and responding to room calls and emergencies in a timely manner
- Repair/maintain furniture, vacuums, gas fired & electrical kitchen appliances, shop equipment, and other items
- Weld, solder, silver solder and braze in order to make necessary repairs
- Perform masonry work, such as plastering, new cement, and stucco
- Ability to interact with seminarians and co-workers in a professional manner that is consistent with Esalen culture and values
- Comply with all Esalen Institute safety and health policies and procedures.
- 3-5 years experience in engineering or related fields, preferably at a hotel, or building complex
- Under general supervision, perform repairs and preventative maintenance on a wide variety of building and facility equipment, fixtures and systems
- May provide work leadership for lower-level maintenance engineers through the assignment of work, coordination of effort, providing and technical guidance
- Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains a wide variety of facility plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems and knowledge of lockout procedures important
- Conducts preventative maintenance inspections and performs required preventative maintenance actions such as lubrication, cleaning, filter change and the like
- Valid California driver’s license
- CFC certification for handling spent coolants
- Certified Pool/Spa Operator® (CPO®) Certification or the ability to acquire one in a year’s time
- Ability to balance the needs of Esalen’s guests and seminarians with the resources available in the best possible way
- Strong communication skills, with an emphasis on listening, empathy and common sense
- Esalen functions best when all staff work toward the common mission of encouraging everyone to reach our highest human potential. With this goal in mind, this job description is not intended to cover or contain an all-encompassing listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice based on Esalen’s and your team’s needs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the teammate must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, stand for long periods of time, often carry and lift up to 50 pounds, safely operate tools and machinery, tolerate exposure to changes in temperature, and be able to perform daily repetitive hand movements as it pertains to repair and maintenance.
- This role offers a generous benefits package including competitive pay commensurate with experience, medical and dental insurance, and paid time off. In alignment with Esalen’s mission in advancing human potential, staff are encouraged to engage in a wide range of personal and professional development programs designed by Esalen faculty and staff.
Esalen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
TO BE CONSIDERED YOU MUST APPLY VIA OUR WEBSITE: