Winter in sunny Arizona at Elkhorn Ranch ~ seeking Breakfast Cook / Baker to start October 9, 2023!
Sunshine, small team, scratch kitchen, return guests!
- Tucson, Arizona
- $675.00 - $800.00 / week
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Oct 09, 2023)
Elkhorn Ranch seeks applicants for our breakfast cook / baker position! Enjoy a winter in sunny Arizona in the Sonoran Desert. The start date is October 9, 2023 and the job would go through April 2024. The job includes full room and board on the ranch. To apply, please use our online application available through Coolworks!
The Miller Family and Elkhorn Ranch crew provide a highly personalized dude ranch vacation experience between mid-November and the end of April. Up to 35 guests stay in 20 cabins one week (or longer) all-inclusive stays featuring guided horseback rides and hikes. We are a conservation minded working ranch that raises horses. Sonoran desert flora and fauna, wide open country, Arizona’s famous sunshine and blue skies, and personalized hospitality provide an ideal setting for guests to experience outdoor adventure, rejuvenation and camaraderie. All crew live and work on-site and receive full room and board, including a private bedroom. Most crew are seasonal (with employment from early October for ranch opening through the end of April or early May) and a small number are employed during the summer off-season. The Miller family owns the ranch and lives and works on the ranch year-round. The ranch is managed via several departments, namely: Hospitality / Operations, Kitchen, Administration, Land & Livestock, and Building / Grounds & Equipment.
The breakfast cook / baker prepares short-order breakfast for all ranch guests and crew, bakes fresh breakfast bread and cookies daily, preps salads for lunch and covers the chef’s day off for all three meals. It can also include baking for supper dessert or aspects of other meals, with details to be determined in collaboration with the Ranch Chef.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize baking menu items and recipes on a weekly basis in coordination with the chef, informed by guest or crew dietary preferences
- Prepare fresh breakfast bread daily for service during guest breakfast
- Prep ingredients and prepare short-order breakfast for crew and guests
- Prepare a variety of cookies daily for service during guest and crew lunch and afternoon snacking
- Prepare cut fruit for breakfast buffet and fruit and vegetables or salads for lunch buffet
- Bake whole wheat, white and cinnamon raisin bread used for breakfast toast as needed
- Serve as the person in charge of the kitchen and kitchen crew in morning or on chef’s day off
- Prepare all three meals on the chef’s day off (and note that chef does same for breakfast cook/baker)
- Practice and monitor kitchen and food safety according to ranch guidance, based on Pima County regulations
- Keep track of supplies and add items to town list for weekly town run
- Communicate questions and problems to chef and/or ranch office promptly
- Maintain tidiness and cleanliness of work areas, storage areas and tools and supplies
- Maintain personal tidiness and cleanliness and abide by attire requirements during work and off hours
- Get along with immediate co-workers, and other staff with whom you share living and dining space
- Read and respect information provided in Crew Handbook and Workplace Notes
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Three years of work in hospitality, including some professional cooking and/or baking
- Available to work complete guest ranch season, including weekends and holidays
- Willingness to live and work at remote location and get along with co-workers during work time and off-work time