Have you ever lived on an island in the Adirondack Mountains? Summer 2024 Housing provided @ no cost
Located on an island on Upper Saranac Lake in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State
- Saranac Lake, New York
- $425.00 - $425.00 / week
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 9 months. (Jun 16, 2024)
**Housing is provided at no cost**
Position Purpose: Grove Counselors will guide campers in planning and carrying out activities while working to ensure social and physical safety. At Eagle Island Camp a Grove is a group of campers and staff that travel together to various activities. The Grove Counselors are the people mainly responsible for the safety and entertainment of the campers in that group. Activities may include games, arts & crafts, swimming, boating (sailing, canoeing, kayaking), hiking, nature study, and others).
Responsibilities: The Grove Counselor is responsible for the overall supervision and health of the campers in the unit.
Coordination of grove activities
- Ensure timely arrival to assigned activities
- Participate in activities with campers
- Entertain campers between scheduled activities (games and songs will be taught during training)
- Supervise clean up of assigned program areas
- Ensure safety rules and procedures are followed
- Foster a spirit of cooperation and team building within the small group
- Be aware of the ongoing medical needs of campers
- See that campers maintain good health habits
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures
- Be prepared to enact written emergency procedures in the event of an accident or illness
Participation in the Camp Community
- Take responsibility for the use and care of camp-owned equipment and facilities
- Keep records and make reports as requested
- Participate in required pre-camp training
- Participate in post-camp clean-up, inventory, and evaluation
- Maintain excellent communication with the campers, parents, and staff
- Perform other duties as assigned by the camp director
- Must be over the age of 18 by the start of camp.
- A belief in, adherence to, and willingness to promote the mission of the Eagle Island Camp
- Willingness and ability to share skills and traditions, and to learn new skills and philosophies.
- Maturity, strong leadership qualities, and good judgment.
- Acceptance and appreciation of all people and the ability to live and work with children and adults of various backgrounds, life experiences, and identities
- Excellent communication skills, and a willingness to work as part of an effective camp staff team
- Interest in learning outdoor activities such as sailing, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, camping, nature study, games, and crafts
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Visual and/or auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to working outdoors
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess the strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers. (will be trained in first aid)
- Ability to endure standing for long hours and perform activities such as running, bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Ability to traverse varying terrain, from flat to hilly, while moving between activities.
- Ability to operate with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and varying environmental conditions.
How to Apply
Check out our website for more info or apply online via the link below!