Mountains & Meditation!
Blazing Mountain Retreat Center is nestled at the base of the stunning 14,000 foot Sangre de Cristo mountain peaks in Colorado
- Crestone, Colorado
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Oct 15, 2019)
Dharma Ocean is a non-profit educational organization providing somatic meditation training in the lineage of Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, as taught by Dr. Reginald A. Ray, Caroline Pfohl, and other teachers. We offer meditation training and programs to a global community through in-person residential retreats, online courses and experiences, and digital products. The core commitments of Dharma Ocean’s staff are operating with integrity and ensuring organizational effectiveness in fulfilling our mission and serving the growing community of somatic practitioners.
At our Blazing Mountain Retreat Center, our team creates and maintains a “protected space” for contemplative programs and retreatants. Programming at "BMRC" consists of both Dharma Ocean lineage training and external rental programs contracted with other contemplative groups.
Dharma Ocean is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary and benefits within the non-profit model.
The Retreat Center & Facilities Manager role includes support and service for guests, programs, events, and rentals. Daily and weekly responsibilities fluctuate depending on operational needs and occupancy. As the on-site caretaker, the Retreat Center Manager (RCM) ensures the facilities and grounds are prepared for use in addition to overseeing maintenance and support of the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center grounds, building, and house in Crestone, CO. This is a full-time, exempt position. This position resides in residence hall quarters designated for this employee. Part-time and seasonal employees and independent contractors supporting facilities report to the Facilities and Services Manager. Applicants should be interested in living and working on-site in the rural community of Crestone, Colorado. Responsibilities include:
RETREAT HOSTING AND SERVICE
- Provides customer service and support for guests in a manner that reflects and embodies Dharma Ocean’s mission.
- Oversees building and site preparation and set up for retreats.
- Participates as needed in sales, planning, and execution of both internal and rental programs.
- Provides on-call hospitality and services support for internal and external programs.
- Assists with administrative and on-site needs during programs on behalf of the retreat center.
- Performs routine housekeeping, maintenance and landscaping tasks themselves, as well as delegates tasks to employees and outsources to tradespeople and contractors when appropriate.
- Serves as liaison to service providers and local municipal and utilities organizations.
- Manages inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Oversees operations, janitorial, maintenance, safety, and related issues for BMRC facilities and grounds.
- Partners with other BMRC leaders to ensure appropriate staffing coverage based on operational and occupancy needs and supports well-being and resiliency of staff and retreatants.
- Manages labor planning, hiring, training, and supervision of both employees and oversight of independent contractors.
- Oversees operations and relations related to parking, traffic, and the neighborhood community.
COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and relationships with stakeholders.
- Participates in regular meetings with Crestone and Boulder-based staff.
- Effectively discerns when to escalate urgent or emergency issues to leadership.
- Communicates proactively with internal Dharma Ocean Foundation staff and rental contacts to ensure facility, equipment and hospitality needs are met.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with contractors and community members.
- Maintains safety processes and checkups to ensure compliance with insurance providers and municipal entities.
- Maintains all service and equipment records, including manuals, warranties, and service history and insurance plans and contracts.
- Manages and communicates processes such as parking space allocation, waste disposal, building security, and office space allocation.
- Reports and monitors department budget to maximize cost-effectiveness; contributes to the annual budget process.
- Identifies facilities capital expenses and manages the execution of new building projects.
- Ensures compliance with health and safety standards and industry codes.
- Strong interpersonal and team-oriented behavior, balanced with comfort working independently in a small, rural town.
- Exercises discretion and holds confidential and sensitive information with integrity.
- Competencies: service-orientation, communication, adaptability, negotiation, problem-solving, decision making, and sound judgment.
- Ability to lead, follow, take initiative or take direction and the judgment to discern when each is appropriate.
- A spacious and open disposition that has the capacity to interact with retreatants on many different contemplative spiritual paths with varying needs and expectations.
- Strong planning and organization skills for self and team.
- Good knowledge of the methods, equipment, and materials used to keep facilities and grounds clean and safe in a manner that reflects the mission of a Dharma Ocean space.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Google Drive, MS Office Suite, and other tools. Experience with Retreat Guru or similar software.
- Willingness to learn and apply Dharma Ocean teachings to the role, as appropriate, is required. Training in the Dharma Ocean lineage is a plus.
- Scheduling flexibility is required. BMRC’s workflow varies depending on the season, program calendars, and occupancy.
- Work in and withstand a variety of indoor and outdoor environmental conditions.
- Physical demands include lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50 pounds; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; reaching above.
- Knowledge of or aptitude to learn, assess and refine safety policies and procedures.
Dharma Ocean’s benefits package provides health, dental and vision insurance; retirement plan; paid time off; training and development. A flexible work schedule is an option for some roles. The compensation and benefits plan for this role is unique and reflects the inclusion of residence quarters at Blazing Mountain Retreat Center and meals during programs. Our full-time employees get three weeks paid time off, plus one week paid for a Dharma Ocean Retreat, and one week paid for a personal solitary retreat of their choosing.
We invite you to learn more about our Mission on our website. www.dharmaocean.org
Dharma Ocean is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please complete our online application by clicking on Apply Now.