Come Work Near One of the Most Beautiful National Parks in the World!
Denali Outdoor Center is a family owned outfitter at Denali National Park, offering rafting, kayaking, and biking. Our headquarters is 10 miles north of the main Denali Park entrance at Otto Lake in Healy, where we also operate a campground and rent cabins.
Healy, Alaska - just north of the entrance to Denali National Park.
About Denali Outdoor Center
Denali Outdoor Center is an adventure based outdoor recreation company located in Denali National Park, Alaska. The primary activities offered to commercial clientele are whitewater rafting (class II through IV) paddle raft and oar-boat, inflatable kayak tours (class II and III), whitewater kayak school and mountain bike rentals and tours.
Our months of operation are from mid-May through mid-September.
Denali Outdoor Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive pay scale, affordable housing, and a flexible work schedule. Our employee retention rate is very high and there are typically only a few available positions; hence, new hire determinations are usually resolved by mid-March. We hire a minimum number of employees in order to make every effort to provide ample work for all.
We are a small, family-owned and operated business with a friendly atmosphere in the workplace as well as the shared living quarters. Everyone gets to know each other and we have an open door policy.
The Employee Experience
We try to make our employees feel special and invest in them as human beings. We have a great place to live and work, Otto Lake is considered a "local gem" due to its incredible scenery, opportunity to enjoy lake activities like kayaking and canoeing, breathtaking sunsets, wildlife sightings and peaceful surroundings. Our employees get more personal space because they do not share a room in "dormitory style" housing like most employers provide in the Denali area.
"I liked working at D.O.C. because I wasn't just an employee. I was considered a friend. It is a fun, hard-working environment with the best professional service. It is a company you want to go back to." - Ty Fulmer, Raft Guide
We've earned an excellent reputation over the past 20 years for our customer service and experienced guide staff. A high degree of customer service is required for all positions! The following qualities make for an all-star staff member here at D.O.C.
- Attention to safety
- Attention to detail
- Positive attitude
- Team player/willingness to help out when and where needed
- Clean driving record
Room and Board
Employee housing consists mostly of individual travel trailers. Employees share a kitchen and shower house facility. Employees are responsible for obtaining and preparing their own food. Cost for housing is $250 per month. Employees may also bring their own RV, camper or tent and rent a site for $100 per month. Healy has 2 small grocery stores, but most employees buy food in Fairbanks, which is 110 miles away.
Employees may join us on our commercial rafting trips, kayak and bike tours, as well as access Otto Lake with the use of our dock and boats. Most local tour operators will give free or discounted tours on a space available basis to our employees.
Getting Here and Getting Around
You can fly into Anchorage or Fairbanks and take the train or a bus to Denali Park. Once here, getting around is tough without a personal vehicle, although many people do it.
Rafting, kayaking, paddleboarding, biking, hiking, flight-seeing, ATV tours, berry picking, camping, nightlife.
All positions require a strong work ethic and a willingness to work long hours during our peak season. The in-house training program for new employees involves a minimum of 40 hours of river time for guides. A final check-out trip is required for each section and all types of craft to be guided (paddle raft, oar raft, kayak and mountain bike) with the new guide assuming all “trip leader” responsibilities and accompanied by a senior guide.
All of our positions receive two consecutive days off for you to soak up and explore Alaska!
- Maintenance of all rental bikes on a daily basis.
- All bikes need to be inspected and washed once returned from a rental.
- This happens between our two locations Otto Lake and the Canyon office.
- Needs to be over 18 yrs of age with a valid driver's license.
- There will be shuttling of bikes between both office locations.
- Inventory of all bike and bike parts.
- Maintaining accurate records of inventory and relaying information when parts need to be ordered.
A typical day will consist of driving 2 or 3 trips which include lodging pick-ups/ drop-offs, river shuttles, equipment retrievals, RR drop-offs and other special considerations. During peak season driver hours can easily exceed 10 hours per day. Safety, of course, is our primary concern and drivers must be honest regarding their tiredness and are expected to be aware of vehicle maintenance issues. All safety concerns must be reported to management immediately.
The shuttle driver is integral to every trip. They are both the first and last impressions for many of our guests. As well, they carry great responsibility with both passengers and equipment dependent on safe travel. In many cases, the driver will be working hardest when guides and office staff have completed their tasks.
Our equipment consists of 2 full-size 40 passenger school buses, 3 vans, 3 flat-bed trailers and 2 utility trailers (1 bike and 1 kayak). All vehicles are automatic transmission and maintained regularly. Drivers are required to arrive at least ½ hour prior to trip check-in time and will be paid on an hourly basis.
Minimum requirements include:
- Current Alaska commercial drivers license (CDL) (we can get you trained to take the test for an AK CDL. We will pay for the test, applicants need to pay for their physical and need to commit to us until the end of their contract. If you break your contract then the CDL test payment will be taken out of your last paycheck)
- Age 23, trustworthy with good people skills
- 3 years commercial driving exp.
- Ability to drive and back-up 40 passenger bus with 18ft. trailer
- Current first-aid and CPR preferred
Taking care of general house cleaning, cleaning guests cabins, cleaning shared kitchen facility, cleaning main office, shower house in the campground. Do laundry for guest facilities, Also some additional landscaping including watering our flowers.
The office staff are in a high visibility position and must represent the company with a positive first impression. Often times, reservations are made based on the overall helpfulness and attitude of our office. Visitors will ask questions regarding not only our activities but other general information about visiting Denali National Park and traveling in Alaska. A well-rounded knowledge of Denali and Alaska is critical in helping to coordinate our activities into a potential guests itinerary. Denali Outdoor Center is recognized for a long history of exemplary customer service.
We call it, “Everything all at once.” Office responsibilities vary from answering phone inquiries, greeting guests at check-in, selling trips and various items before, during and after trips, helping dress and undress guests on deck, explaining logistics to guides and drivers, maintaining a clear, legible and accurate reservation book, confirming all guests have signed the liability waiver and keeping the office clean and organized. Of course, these are the main duties involved but additional tasks present themselves frequently.
*Minimum requirements include:
- 18 years of age, well organized, timely and self-motivated
- Familiarity with DSLR cameras and photographic techniques
- Strong computer skills (knowledge of Adobe Photoshop for image editing, preferred)
- Familiarity with Denali National Park and Alaska, a plus
- Friendly, positive and professional attitude
- Ability to multi-task and manage groups
- Comfortable with on-site sales and payment processing in a busy environment
- Confident and well spoken; people skills are a must
*Minimum requirements include:
- 3 previous seasons guiding experience on rivers rated class III or greater; or (2 previous seasons guiding experience on the Nenana River)
- Current First-aid and CPR certification
- Swiftwater Rescue Training or other equivalents
- Both Oar and Paddle raft experience preferred
- Good customer service skills
- Willingness to work long hours
- A Positive Attitude in the Workplace
Denali Outdoor Center maintains an incredible amount of equipment. Daily maintenance includes mountain bike service and drysuit repair. Other tasks include vehicle maintenance and light repair, raft and kayak repair, building maintenance and grounds keeping. Inventories, maintenance records, shuttle assistance, guest dressing, and undressing are additional responsibilities.
Minimum requirements include:
- 18 years of age, well organized and self-motivated
- Natural mechanical ability, willing to learn
- Familiarity with basic vehicle and bike maintenance
- Good people skills
- Willing to work a flexible schedule
How to Apply
We are fortunate to operate adjacent to one of the most beautiful national parks in the world. As an employer, D.O.C. offers qualified applicants an opportunity to experience a positive work environment in the great land of Alaska.
We invite all individuals who meet or exceed minimum job description requirements to submit an online application via the APPLY HERE button below.