Come spend the summer in Denali with a fun, tight-knit crew!
Right across the road from Denali National Park and boarding the banks Nenana River.
- Denali National Park, Alaska
- $16.00 / hour + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 5 months. (May 15, 2023)
Denali Education Center (DEC) is a non-advocacy, for-purpose organization and partner of Denali National Park and Preserve. Our mission is to promote understanding and appreciation of Denali through fun, informative, and inspiring programs. Our 10-acre campus is home to 12 guest cabins, a combined classroom and dining hall, a yurt, and a community event building. We operate week-long learning vacations in cooperation with numerous educational groups and organizations, primarily Road Scholar. In addition, we offer a suite of youth experiences, community programs, evening events, and lectures. Denali Education Center is a diverse organization, with its roots firmly planted in the local community, and Denali National Park and Preserve. Our hospitality staff plays an important role in maintaining a clean, attractive, and comfortable campus environment.
This will be a mixed role of housekeeping, kitchen support, custodial, and maintenance of the grounds, which makes every day interesting and a little different. There’s some time to work independently and in team settings. Duties include but not limited to-
- Clean all guest rooms after check-out: includes but is not limited to making beds, sanitizing bathrooms, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, mopping, etc.
- Maintain cleanliness and stocking in all DEC facilities including Riverside Hall, the Charles Sheldon Center, yurt, vehicles, and guest laundry area according to a cleaning schedule
- Put away linens when they return from laundry service, create and distribute clean linen bags for flipping rooms, maintain linen shed to be organized and clean
- Assist with basic food service duties in the Riverside Hall. Be trained in these basic food service duties. (Meals are for ~30 guests, plus a handful of presenters and staff.)
- Assist with dishes in kitchen after meals
- Assist with DEC’s sustainability efforts by actively recycling and composting, sorting recyclables into the proper bins for collection
- Watering flower baskets and garden
- A desire and ability to clean and keep things orderly
- Comfortable in a commercial kitchen, some basic background is preferred and a willingness to be taught a few basic skills is needed
- Eagerness to work as part of a team in a dynamic environment with a small staff
- Ability to lift 30 lbs., stand for long periods of time
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills; manages time wisely
- Ability to work independently without a lot of direct supervision: good judgment and initiative
- Ability to have fun and maintain a positive attitude during the fast-paced summer season
Preferred Knowledge and skills:
- Possession of current CPR and First Aid Certification or willingness to train
- 21+ years of age preferred
- Starting wage is $16.00 per hour; negotiable based on experience
- Program tips are pooled and dispersed upon completion of summer contract
- This is a full-time seasonal position. Hours of work will vary, may be irregular, and will be determined by the Facilities Manager based on the needs of our organization
- Private housing available for a nominal fee ($200/month). Employee kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry facilities are shared and maintained with other employees. (Best seasonal housing offered in Denali!)
This position description reflects the Denali Education Center’s best effort to describe the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities, or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude the opportunity for modifications, providing reasonable accommodation. DEC values diversity and welcomes all applicants.
How to Apply
For questions about the position or to apply, please send a resume, references, and a brief summary of your interest working for the Denali Education Center and living in the Denali area to Lauren Bruns: email@example.com