Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Kelcy
      Site Owner

We’re in the thick of summer hiring – have any of you accepted jobs for summer? If so where are you all headed?

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Kim Visser
      Participant

Yes @ Bryce Canyon. My first seasonal job and can’t wait to get up there!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Don Kostyal
      Participant

Thrilled to have accepted a position at Signal Mountain Lodge this year–it will be my 5th season over the years.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Kelcy
      Site Owner

@sag1268 That’s so exciting Kim! Bryce is beautiful and there is so much amazingness to experience in the area. We’re so excited for you!

Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful
        Kim Visser
        Participant

Thanks Kelcy. Super excited!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Kelcy
      Site Owner

@don_kostyal The long-awaited return, that’s super exciting! What will you be doing this summer?

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Don Kostyal
      Participant

Going back to gift stores managers–stopped in last year and saw the remodel finally done and POS now in place. Looking forward to working with Wendy again as well as the SML management team, and all the changes since last there in 2015. Feels like going home.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Yvonne LeMon
      Participant

I’ve accepted a position for my first season with Yellowstone!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Kelcy
      Site Owner

@mello-v That’s exciting! What will you be doing and where in the park will you be located?

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Yvonne LeMon
      Participant

Well, I’ll be working at Old Faithful.

As you know everything is pushed back to May.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Michele O’Donnell
      Participant

This seasons job has been put on hold for me and I’m worried, I’m on my 3rd season on a guest ranch in NW Montana. The guests are cancelling Because of this virus so they don’t need me. I’m so bummed! I’m having a hard time finding another housekeeping position that pays as much as they do. The work is extremely hard and long hours but it worked out for me great. Anyway, I’m looking for a housekeeping position. I have a phone interview at Smiley creek lodge in Idaho. Anyone know of it?

Thanks, I hope people are still here, looks kind of deserted..🙏

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Don Kostyal
      Participant

It is a different world–sorry your plans have been changed for you. Mine have been delayed and operations where I am going are going to be greatly reduced from normal. Many places are seeing people who agreed to a seasonal position this summer cancel their plans due to many reasons–fear of the unknown and already on unemployment with increased benefits through July, just to name a few. Some places will be looking for employees due to these cancellations so don’t lose faith–check the web sites on here and contact the HR departments of the ones you are interested in and see if they are still looking. Sounds like you had a really great gig that you liked. Keep an open mind–when one door closes another opens. You might find another position that can be as good (with all the differences) as the one you are missing. I am going back this year to the best seasonal job I have had since I started this 15 years ago, and because of Covid-19, it is going to be very different this year than even they anticipated. I might suggest you look to the places where they are opening up the economy already. South Dakota for instance–there are lots of seasonal jobs around the Rapid City (Mt Rushmore) area. Wish you luck.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Keith Larson
      Participant

Hi Michele, Did you have any luck with Smiley Creek? Is the West important in your journey? At first I was going to suggest the Shore View Lodge. McCall can be interesting in the summer. But it’s drawback, I think, is housing/food is on your own. And that can get pricey and I see money is a goal. I’m going to suggest the Basin Harbor Club. The only way you could consider that West though…would be western Vermont. So that might be a no go for you if that’s important. When I was there years ago, I think the majority of the housekeeping staff was foreign, but I think with everything this year that’s not going to happen. Not sure of the pay…it was competitive for cooks back in the day though. Beautiful area. Same family has owned the place for generations, more than 100 years. Old money New England flocks to it every summer…it mixes with the local Hippieland East well actually. If any place manages to stay busy this summer, I’d think this is the place.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Kelsey
      Participant

Hi Michele, Sorry to hear that your seasonal position didn’t work out due to covid. Have you ever considered Door County, Wi? There are MANY seasonal positions here and employers are scrambling to get seasonal workers for this summer.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 11 hours ago by Kelsey.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.