the most unappreciated position at Yellowstone, but i love doing it

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ken horner avatarken horner
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I’ve applied to go back to Ystone after being away for several years. I’m interviewing next week for a edr manager position. I’ve worked in the edr as a cook and a manager. I really enjoy the job, even tho there are constant complaints. People just don’t realize that there’s 350 of them per meal and only a few of us to cook for them. We have scheduled menus that we have to follow. yea, there can be some variations. People have to realize that this isn’t an ale carte restaurant. It’s a production cafeteria. If you have suggestions give them to us. there’s a suggestion box. It’s looked at daily. Sometimes the ideas received are good some are kinda silly. I guess what I’m saying is we try, we bust our butts, be fair with us or go buy your meals elsewhere. we’ve accepted the fact that we can please most of the people but there are those that can’t be pleased. Just my 2 cents. Ken

Matt Moore avatarMatt
      Site Owner
      Up
      Down

Thanks for sharing, Ken! I’ve always had a huge appreciation for you and all the folks who work in the EDRs out there. It’s one of the most important positions at any seasonal operation, and like you said, can be one of the most underappreciated. I was always just so stoked that I had a place to get three meals prepared, served, and cleaned up after every day. Even if every meal wasn’t my absolute favorite, I knew a lot of work went in to preparing it. So thanks for doing what you do, Ken! And folks, be kind to your EDR staff!

Don Kostyal avatarDon Kostyal
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Fully agree with Matt–the EDR can make or break a property. Kudos to all those who have worked an EDR in the past and those that still do. I helped out a few times in the “Dish Pit” due to manning shortages from illness or short staffing. It sure gave me a new appreciation for all that do it day in and day out.

Patty Ceglio avatarPatty
      Site Owner
      Up
      Down

Ken – I’d love to know if you made it to Yellowstone this year! I know how much has changed since February! This challenging year might actually have offered you new insights and ways to make the EDR rock during the season of social distancing!

ken horner avatarken horner
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I didn’t make it this year with all the covid stuff about. I’m gonna try again next year tho

Joe avatarJoe
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I have not worked in YT yet, but I just wanted to let you know that some of us really appreciate what you do!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.