How can CoolWorks help with resources for the job search / application process?

How can CoolWorks help with resources for the job search / application process?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Matt
      Site Owner

Hi all! We’d love to hear from you on what resources or tips we could provide that would help you in the job search, application, interview, and accepting a job process. This could be blog posts/articles, future site features, Community topics, AMA’s, whatever comes to mind! Our team has a lot of combined experience in all things seasonal jobs, so please don’t be shy in throwing out your questions and suggestions. We look forward to the conversation!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Rosanna Silverio
      Participant

Not sure if this is what you’re asking but one thing I wish all the employer profiles would do is, have plenty of details about what it’s ”really” like to live and work there and ESPECIALLY include pictures and /or videos of housing. Maybe even have it as a requirement to posting on here?

As a job seeker trying to determine if this “completely new place” so far away is something worth investing my time and energy into, its helpful to have the facts. Sometimes we get all excited about a great place and then get a huge unpleasant shock upon arrival in regards to the housing situation. Having this new open forum here on coolworks is awesome!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Matt
      Site Owner

Hi Rosanna! Welcome, and thanks for the feedback! I completely agree. When I took my first seasonal job in Wyoming way back when, I ended up choosing the employer that did all of the things you mentioned above: provided pictures and details about housing, and talked extensively about what it was like to live and work there, including glimpses into their company culture, staff activities, and what employees get to enjoy doing during their time off. It’s definitely better for everyone involved when this information is clear and upfront.

While we don’t make all of this information required, we do strongly encourage employers to provide it. We review every ad that’s posted on our site, and give a lot of feedback to employers on how we think they could improve the information they provide to help job seekers get a better idea of what their season will be like. It’s better for them if they do. Job seekers will have clear expectations when they accept and arrive at their new job, as opposed to being unpleasantly surprised by some critical detail that wasn’t communicated.

We also strongly encourage job seekers to ask lots of questions before accepting a job, because you’re absolutely right: it is a big leap of faith to accept a job a long way away and invest the time and expense to travel there, and it is a huge disappointment to arrive somewhere and have some element (housing, work hours, job duties) be different from what you thought you signed up for. It is really important when there are information gaps for candidates to advocate for themselves by requesting a lot of information. You’re making a big committment – you’re entitled to know what you’re signing up for and to know that you’ll be in a comfortable situation. Ask for pictures of housing. Ask about their policies surrounding workplace incidents/harrassment. Ask for an employment agreement confirming pay and job title/duties. (We wrote a blog post in the last few weeks that talks about how to advocate for yourself before accepting a job: https://www.coolworks.com/resources/a-better-seasonal-work-experience-starts-with-self-advocacy/

The majority of employers who have left information out of their recruitment materials aren’t doing so with malicious intent – they’re likely just juggling a lot of different responsibilities and have overlooked some critical details. But, if a potential employer scoffs or bristles at your request for more information, then that might be a good indication that they’re not willing to take your interest in them as seriously as you are, which is a good indicator to keep looking until you find that employer who checks all the right boxes.

Thank you again for sharing this feedback, and I hope this information helps!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Matt.
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Isis
      Participant

Hello, I’m new to seasonal work and CoolWorks. I’m thinking of working in Alaska, the Kenai Peninsula (Seward, Cooper Landing, Moose Pass). I’m a city girl and would like to be in a more rural setting, but still close enough to drive to a larger city on my days off if need be. Also, I want to be close to hiking, rafting and the coast so it seems like a good fit. However, I would love any advice anybody can provide on employers and working in AK. Thank you!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Isis.
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Robin Gochenour
      Participant

Hello, I as well am new to Coolworks. Let me start off by saying, Thank You for providing such a great asset. I am not new to seasonal, but my experience was not from this type of platform. One, I actually owned the seasonal business and the couple others that I ran across were just perfect timing. So not experienced from the aspect of the job listings here, but working knowledge of Seasonal Business’s. I look forward to finding the perfect fit.

I look forward to hearing of others experiences such as Matt’s reply to the questions raised in Rosanna’s post. Also interested in replies to Isis’s question. AK is intriguing but I am also leery of taking the leap.

No questions at this time. But I do have a suggestion. It would be nice if there was a like button so it would show interest to questions that may prompt someone to reply if they see it’s a question many of us are wondering. As well as, a like button that enables us to like a reply such as Matt’s to Rosanna’s question. His reply, helped answer a couple of my questions.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Matt
      Site Owner

@isis_g Hi Isis! Thanks for sharing your questions, and congrats on thinking about this new adventure! I’ve never personally worked a season in Alaska, but I’ve spent a fair amount of time up there. It’s a truly amazing state. It’s also an enormous place with lots of wilderness and very remote, rural areas. If you’re accustomed to a city environment, then I might recommend a place like Seward. It’s a small town, but it’s a booming community in the summer months when the tourist activity is high. And, it’s incredibly beautiful.

I’d also encourage you to ask this question (and other questions you may have about specific locations) over in the Compare Notes forum. That’s a great place to ask about specific locations, employers, industries, etc.. I hope this help!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Matt
      Site Owner

@robin Thanks for joining the Community and sharing your feedback! We’ve recently added an “Upvote/Downvote” feature to posts that functions similarly to a “Like” button and allows users to boost up questions that they’re interested in hearing more responses to or posts that they find particularly helpful. We look forward to hearing other questions or suggestions you have, thanks again!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Isis
      Participant

Thank you, Matt!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.