Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Suz
      Participant

Is anyone experiencing the effects of the pandemic and the new travel ban to The States from European countries? How are employers and employees preparing? Oulooks for the summer season?

I am due to fly to Denver from the UK in two weeks for a summer job. Luckily the UK is not a Schengen country and I am a US citizen so this does not apply to me for now… It does make me nervous though 😳

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Patty

Hi Suz

Thanks for posting and getting this crazy party started. I feel for you in this big decision – and I’m guessing that enough has changed in the last 6 days that maybe you have made a contingency plan?

We’re seeing employers taking several different postures some are hiring as usual, some have a hiring freeze on, some are delaying their summer season opening by weeks or a month. Cruise Lines with ports in Canada (heading to AK) are now unable to dock at those ports, and so this kid of unique operation faces a different “shut down”.

I really hope others will weigh in here and share their stories! The only way we’re going to get through this is TOGETHER – even if we have to stand 6 feet apart.

Wishing you well.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Angelique Vasquez
      Participant

I was supposed to head up to Alaska to start work in April but because of the closing of the ports my start date has been pushed back until July. This makes it very difficult due to the fact I have already quit my job and bought my airline ticket. I have to make a decision on if I am going to wait it out or begin to look for seasonal work here in the lower 48.

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Suz
      Participant

Oh no Angelique! We’re on similar boats. I am due to begin work in Utah the first week of April, but I’m worried the same will happen and I won’t be able to start for months. I also quit my jobs and had purchased a flight.

I was in the UK and decided to get a last minute (and expensive) flight back almost two weeks before my original planned flight. I was worried if I waited things would get a lot worse and more complicated.

Now it’s just a waiting game. Trying to keep positive, mentally prepare, and build a contingency plan.

Take care guys!

Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Patty

Hi Suz – I’m checking back in with you – so much has changed and every day brings a dozen new updates. Wondering how you’re doing?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.