Adjusting to the Seasonal Work / Lifestyle

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kelcy Fowler avatarKelcy
      Site Owner
      Up
      Down

When you’re new to seasonal, there’s a lot that’s new and different about the experience. We hope you’ll share your questions or concerns here or if you’ve been around the seasonal block a few times your or offer advice and insights.

Also, check out this really helpful article on the subject from our friend Gloria! It’s got some really helpful suggestions, and it’s always going to maximize your potential for a positive experience when you go into it with a good mindset and healthy expectations.
      https://toughnickel.com/finding-job/How-to-Adjust-to-Moving-for-Seasonal-Work

• This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Kelcy Fowler avatarKelcy.
      • This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Kelcy Fowler avatarKelcy.
      Ashley Castillo avatarAshley Castillo
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Thanks for the post! I’ve just signed up here maybe about two weeks ago and diving into all the information provided. Never done anything like this so it’s both scary and exciting. If anyone could lead me to any forums for extreme newbies that would be most helpful! Tips on quitting the 9-5. Starting fresh somewhere new but needing to break my current apartment lease? Or figuring out storage for my life here in Houston. Any information would be helpful! Thanks in advance. 🙂

Patty Ceglio avatarPatty
      Site Owner
      Up
      Down

Hi Ashley

Thanks for jumping in here!

One of the things you’ll appreciate once you get further down the line, is that in the seasonal employment world, you’re generally hired with a definitive start and end date. This allows you to plan well in advance for travel, shifts, next steps, as well as the basics of “where will I be living in November?” for example. Many of the seasonal jobs posted on CoolWorks.com have staff housing associated with them – and you’d be assigned a place to live for the time that you’re there and employed. “Rent” and “Utilities” come as a part of the package, so you may not have to worry about another apartment for awhile! That might be refreshing or terrifying!

Joe avatarJoe
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hey there! Just came back to the site to see if this community was working yet. Good to see that it is. I have been working seasonally for about 20 years now, up in Alaska. Mostly as a fisherman and or at wilderness lodges. It’s a pretty great lifestyle! I have a few bits of advice for folks.

1- ALWAYS get a copy of the contract BEFORE you get on an airplane or helicopter out into the middle of nowhere!
      Make sure you read it, and then make sure you read it again when they ask you to sign it and fill out your tax info on site. I have had a couple of sketchy lodges try to change the language on the copy I was meant to sign, both times having to do with the amount of money I originally agreed to work for.

2- if you do not receive a paycheck, GET OUT OF THERE! This kind of thing happens more that you think as well. It’s happened to me a few times, never stick around, at least up here in Alaska, there are tons of other jobs you can find.

3- if you get an uneasy gut feeling, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT. also, listen to ppl around you, and others in the community. I showed up to a wilderness lodge in the middle of nowhere with no road access in a remote village once. During the first ten mins of the new employee welcome speech, the owners daughter and the general manager started talking about how we should not listen to what the locals tell us about the lodge… long story short, it was a terrible experience, and I experienced both of the above issues at this place. I had a gut feeling that I should have left on the first flight back, but I stayed, and I regret it.

Well I hope these tips help, there are A TON of amazing places to work up here in Alaska, but you have to keep your wits about you, and pay attention.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Joe avatarJoe.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.