Camp Nurse Position in Beautiful Colorado!
Residential Summer Camp on 600 acres in Southwest Colorado!
- Durango, Colorado
- $4,000.00 - $10,000.00 / season
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (May 14, 2023)
Colvig Silver Camps has an open Camp Nurse (aka Witch Doctor) position for the summer of 2023. We are primarily looking to fill the role for our 2nd camp session (July 13 to August 14th, but may have the flexibility to employ for a full summer as well. RN License eligible to work in Colorado required. Pediatric nursing or general childcare experience preferred. Camp nursing experience highly desired. Outdoor recreation interest/experience desired.
Minimum Age: 21 or older
Terms of Employment: 4 weeks (July 113 - August 114), unless contracted otherwise
Salary: $4000 - $10000 for the season depending on the duration of employment, potential salary increase commensurate with experience, Housing included. Do you have kids? We offer tuition benefits for this position when the nurse has kids of age (7 - 17) to attend camp. The benefit depends on the number of kids, but typically 1 or 2 kids attend camp during employment at no additional cost (only a salary deduction), though we still make sure our nurses get paid something for all their hard work even if their kids attend camp.
Time Off: One full day each week
Number Hired: One
Each summer we hire one or two full time, residential nurse(s). Our nurse position is tailored to provide the camp community with optimum health care in a unique environment. Health care support includes a staff certified in, at a minimum, CPR and Wilderness First Aid, ambulance and helicopter access to a nearby hospital, and a 24-hour on-call camp physician.
Where does the nurse stay and work?
Our camp nurse (aka Witch Doctor) resides in a private cabin w/ a private bathroom attached to the infirmary. The infirmary consists of the main room for giving immediate care and evaluating campers and staff, a bathroom and shower, and two rooms for campers or staff staying the night (two rooms to separate gender if necessary). The infirmary also has a washer and dryer.
The primary responsibilities of the nurse position include:
- Staff week orientation on camp healthcare policies and procedures
- Teaching medication administration course and delegating medication administration to staff members
- Pre-camp camper and staff health screenings
- Being available and on-call 24 hours/day while on-duty for all camper and staff health care needs
- General first aid kit management
- Keeping records and logs
- Knowledge of accreditation standards, state regulations, and exclusion policies
- Ordering medical supplies for the infirmary and first aid kits
- Scheduling doctor’s visits as needed
- Occasional parent contact regarding camper health needs or concerns
- Managing beds and rooms in the infirmary (making beds and cleaning linens)
- Keeping camp healthy and happy!
This position provides an opportunity to spend a summer in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, developing nursing experience in pediatric care and wilderness/outdoor medicine. While our nurse is always on-call, we are flexible regarding program participation. We encourage our camp nurse to take an active part in the program portion of camp. Health care demands always take precedence over such program participation, but we are committed to making this a fulfilling and enjoyable experience for our nurse as well as our campers and program staff.
(We also have other great jobs available, CLICK HERE to jump over to our CoolWorks Profile to check out our full list of available positions.)
How to Apply
Click the link to visit our website and apply!