Greenhouse and Gardens Technician
$10.25 / hourApply Now
- The position will be to support the greenhouse manager in the production of two, year-round hydroponic crops, a large summer floral crop, and summer vegetable production.
- All produce grown is used on-site to supply employees and guests at the resort with fresh meals.
- Maintain year-round hydroponic lettuce, basil, and Thai basil crop, including harvesting, cleaning trays, mixing fertilizer and seeding.
- Maintain an eleven-month hydroponic tomato crop including harvesting, pollinating, trellising, and pruning.
- Maintain one main 6000 sq ft greenhouse, one smaller hoop-house, and one high tunnel. This includes sweeping, mopping, washing pots, PVC piping repair, minor construction.
- Propagate a large floral crop for outdoor landscaping during the summer months from seed and cuttings. Summer work includes transplanting, watering, tilling, composting, weeding, and planting.
- There are two main vegetable garden plots used for summer food production.
- This is an amazing opportunity for a horticulturist to gain a diverse experience and skill set.
Preferred Experience and Education:
- Any education in Horticulture or a related field is a huge plus.
- Greenhouse or nursery work experience producing vegetables or ornamental plants. Experience with hydroponic lettuce or tomato production is desirable.
- Knowledge of and interest in hydroponics and soil crop production systems, fertilizer application, pest control and other aspects of greenhouse and field production.
- Ability to lift up to 70lbs (lifting harvest buckets, trays, supplies, tomato plants).
- Ability to work on a ladder with arms extended above your head for long periods.
- Ability to operate a four-wheeler and small tractor with implements, or the ability and willingness to learn how.
- Alaska pesticide applicators license or ability to obtain one with one within a designated time period.
- Willingness and ability to learn to mix fertilizers, acid for pH adjustment and apply pesticides (including herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and traps).
- Ability and willingness to use hand tools to make common repairs and modifications, and for garden cultivation.
- Ability to work on the ground (kneeling) for long periods for plant out, weeding, and other situations as necessary.
- Willingness to work with a team or alone for long periods of time.
- Willingness to work and live on-site at a semi-remote location in Alaska year-round with an understanding that this can mean interrupted and limited phone and internet service.
- Experience with minor plumbing, electrical, and equipment maintenance a plus.