Year-Round Greenhouse Technician at our Alaska Hot Springs Resort
located 56 Scenic miles east of Fairbanks, surrounded by magnificent wilderness.
- $10.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Apr 01, 2019)
- The position will be to support the greenhouse manager in the production of two, year-round hydroponic crops, a large summer floral crop, and summer vegetable production.
- All produce grown is used on site to supply employees and guests at the resort with fresh meals.
- Maintain a year round hydroponic lettuce, basil, and Thai basil crop, including harvesting, cleaning trays, mixing fertilizer and seeding.
- Maintain an eleven month hydroponic tomato crop including harvesting, pollinating, trellising, and pruning.
- Maintain one main 6000 sq ft greenhouse, one smaller hoop-house, and one high tunnel. This includes sweeping, mopping, washing pots, pvc piping repair, minor construction.
- Propagate a large floral crop for outdoor landscaping during the summer months from seed and cuttings. Summer work includes transplanting, watering, tilling, composting, weeding, and planting.
- There are two main vegetable garden plots used for summer food production.
- This is an amazing opportunity for a horticulturist to gain a diverse experience and skill set.
Culture and Lifestyle:
- Employees live on site at Chena Hot Springs Resort. Located 56.5 miles from the nearest town of Fairbanks Alaska.
- Modest private housing is provided.
- Meals are provided.
- Employees are welcome to enjoy all the resorts activities free of charge, including the use of the hot springs, pool, tours of the ice museum, aurora coaches, horse back rides etc.
- There are approximately 50-60 employees that live on site, so it is a rather small community you will be working and living with.
- Scheduling in the greenhouse is 5 days on 2 days off. There is a great opportunity in Spring to earn overtime as the greenhouse team works 6-7 days a week. During this period there may be continuous 10 to 12 hour days of planting and watering in addition to routine greenhouse duties.
- Overtime is paid for any hours worked over 8/day AND 40/week
Preferred Experience and Education:
- Any education in Horticulture or a related field is a huge plus.
- Greenhouse or nursery work experience producing vegetables or ornamental plants. Experience with hydroponic lettuce or tomato production is desirable.
- Knowledge of and interest in hydroponic and soil crop production systems, fertilizer application, pest control and other aspects of greenhouse and field production.
- Ability to lift up to 70lbs (lifting harvest buckets, trays, supplies, tomato plants).
- Ability to work on a ladder with arms extended above your head for long periods.
- Ability to operate a four-wheeler and small tractor with implements, or the ability and willingness to learn how.
- Alaska pesticide applicators license or ability to obtain one with one within a designated time period.
- Willingness and ability to learn to mix fertilizers, acid for pH adjustment and apply pesticides (including herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and traps).
- Ability and willingness to use hand tools to make common repairs and modifications, and for garden cultivation.
- Ability to work on the ground (kneeling) for long periods for plant out, weeding, and other situations as necessary.
- Willingness to work with a team or alone for long periods of time.
- Willingness to work and live on site at a semi-remote location in Alaska year-round with an understanding that this can mean interrupted and limited phone and internet service.
- Experience with minor plumbing, electrical, and equipment maintenance a plus.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and an optional cover letter to jena gavora at the email address provided..