Spend your Winter making a difference for people with disabilities on the slopes of Aspen/Snowmass!
Nestled in the mountains of Aspen, Colorado!
- Aspen/Snowmass, Colorado
- unknown / day + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (Nov 18, 2019)
Challenge Aspen is hiring Adaptive Assistants for the 2019 – 2020 winter season. The Adaptive Assistants will be responsible for facilitating adaptive skiing and snowboarding experiences for individuals with cognitive and/or physical disabilities.
This position is designed for people interested in learning and gaining knowledge in the adaptive snowsports and recreation industries. Adaptive Assistants will be trained both on snow and indoors on disabilities, assist with adaptive skiing instruction and become educated on equipment before the ski season.
What to expect as an Adaptive Assistant:
- Assist adaptive ski pros on Challenge Aspen ski lessons
- Be an on snow buddy/guide for participants
- Visually impaired ski guiding
- Attendance of all required trainings
- Be a positive role model and ambassador of Challenge Aspen
- Assist REC camps and Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities retreats
- Provide equipment maintenance and repair if needed
- Assistance with administrative projects as needed
- Facilitate additional activities for Challenge Aspen participants and families
What we’re looking for in an Adaptive Assistant:
- Must be 21 or older by November 18th, 2019.
- Ability to commit to entire ski season from November 18th, 2019 through April 19th, 2020.
- Intermediate to advanced skiing ability (level 6 required). Adaptive Assistants must be able to confidently ski on all groomed blue terrain.
- Interest in learning the techniques required to teach adaptive and/or alpine skiing.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred, but not required.
- Able to fulfill physical requirements of the job; able to lift 50 lbs
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Willingness to commit to continuing education programs throughout the ski season such as trainings and clinics.
- Professional at all times with a high degree of customer service.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors, often times in snowy conditions with below zero temperatures.
- Adaptable and flexible. Often times this job requires working many days in a row as well as day-of assignments and changes.
- Have a sense of humor!
- Rent controlled housing in Aspen, Colorado (if needed)
- Pay: $80 for full day worked/$40 for half day worked
- Paid training from knowledgeable adaptive industry professionals
- A four mountain Aspen/Snowmass ski pass (Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk Mountain, Snowmass Mountain)
- The Roaring Fork Transit Authority operates a free bus system between Aspen and Snowmass, with a bus stop steps from available housing
- Work in a rewarding field making a difference in people’s lives
- A casual, fun, and empowering work culture
- Spend the winter in Aspen, Colorado
- Meet new people from all around the world
How to Apply
Click APPLY NOW for more information and to apply online