Spend your Winter making a difference on the slopes of Aspen/Snowmass!
Steps from the snow in Aspen/Snowmass
- Aspen/Snowmass, Colorado
- $75.00 / day + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 4 months (Nov 14, 2018)
Challenge Aspen is hiring Apprentice Pros for the 2018 – 2019 winter season. The Apprentice Pros will be responsible for facilitating adaptive skiing and snowboarding experiences for individuals with cognitive and/or physical disabilities.
This position is designed for people interested in learning and gaining knowledge in the adaptive snowsports and recreation industries. Apprentice pros will be trained both on snow and indoors on disabilities, assist with adaptive skiing instruction and become educated on equipment before and during the ski season.
Ideal candidates are those who are looking to develop the skills and knowledge to become adaptive and/or alpine ski instructors or to gain the necessary experience to work in the adaptive recreation, adventure tourism, snowsports and ski resort industries.
What to expect as an Apprentice Pro:
- Assist adaptive ski pros on Challenge Aspen ski lessons
- Be an on snow buddy/guide for participants
- Visually impaired ski guiding
- Attendance of all required trainings
- Be a positive role model and ambassador of Challenge Aspen
- Assist REC camps and Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities retreats
- Provide equipment maintenance and repair if needed
- Assistance with administrative projects as needed
- Facilitate additional activities for Challenge Aspen participants and families
What we’re looking for in an Apprentice Pro:
- Must be 21 or older by November 14th, 2018.
- Ability to commit to entire ski season from November 14th, 2018 through April 19th, 2019.
- Intermediate to advanced skiing ability. Apprentice pros must be able to confidently ski on all groomed blue terrain.
- Interest in learning the techniques required to teach adaptive and/or alpine skiing.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred, but not required.
- Able to fulfill physical requirements of the job; able to lift 50 lbs
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Willingness to commit to continuing education programs throughout the ski season such as trainings and clinics.
- Professional at all times with a high degree of customer service.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors, often times in snowy conditions with below zero temperatures.
- Adaptable and flexible. Often times this job requires working many days in a row as well as day-of assignments and changes.
- Have a sense of humor!
- Rent controlled housing in Aspen, Colorado (if needed)
- Pay: $75 for full day worked/$37.50 for half day worked
- Paid training from knowledgeable adaptive industry professionals
- A four mountain Aspen/Snowmass ski pass (Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk Mountain, Snowmass Mountain)
- The Roaring Fork Transit Authority operates a free bus system between Aspen and Snowmass, with a bus stop steps from available housing
- Work in a rewarding field making a difference in people’s lives
- A casual, fun, and empowering work culture
- Spend the winter in Aspen, Colorado
- Meet new people from all around the world