Guided Discoveries: Catalina Island Marine Institute
Position: Marine Science Instructor ( view description below )
Location: Catalina Island, CA
Dates: May 28, 2019 - August 10, 2019
Responsible to: CIMI Program Director
Summary of Position:
The CIMI instructors are responsible for providing quality instruction and leadership in the educational outdoor science programs at CIMI. This entails providing the proper curriculum, ensuring all programs are conducted in accordance with set policies, and the development of educational instructional programs to ensure the high standards of the program.
- BS or BA degree in Marine Biology, Environmental Education or equivalent.
- Current Driver’s License.
- Prior teaching experience or equivalent (in outdoor science programs, or in youth summer camps, scouts programs, or recreational programs for youth preferred.)
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge to create, organize, develop and implement educational programs using current trends in curricula development and instructional activities.
- Snorkeling experience necessary. SCUBA certification is not necessary. Must be a strong swimmer.
- Physically fit in order to snorkel, kayak, and hike for extended periods.
- Must be able to pass the Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding Course including first aid and CPR.
- Desire and ability to live and work in a remote camp community.
- Desire to work with children and the ability to supervise them and make proper discipline judgments.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activities.
- Good character, integrity, flexibility, and adaptability.
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control.
- Must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
The Instructors at CIMI have the responsibility to provide quality instructional and leadership in the education outdoor science programs at CIMI.
Specific Responsibilities (Examples of Duties)
- Implement the CIMI Outdoor Educational Program curriculum and related programs, as outlined by the Program Director.
- Ensure all programs are conducted in accordance with the policies set by CIMI, emphasizing safety.
- Development of necessary educational and instructional background to ensure quality of the program.
- Assume duties of Dive Locker Coordinator, Lab Tech, Social Media Content Developer, or Program Coordinator when assigned.
- Attend and participate in all leadership and instruction sessions scheduled by the Program Director or Executive Director.
- Drive safety and program boats when assigned.
- Greet incoming groups at the pier and escort to facility (approximately 1 mile).
- Work evening programs as required to meet group needs.
- Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in student activities.
- Other Duties as assigned by Program Director.
View Job Description
- Must be able to communicate and work with the student groups by teaching all aspects of the program including labs, hikes, and water activities.
- Ability to snorkel ½ mile in ocean, leading 15 students up to 2 hours.
- Kayak 5 miles, leading 15 students up to 1 mile offshore.
- Hike up to 2 miles along dirt trails including steep inclines.
- Lift Kayaks and carry to water with students.
- Ability to drive boat in order to chase boat during kayaking.
- Greet incoming groups at pier and escort to facility.
- Lift, carry, and move heavy objects when necessary.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations by providing the leadership necessary to enact the Emergency Procedure Plan.
- Abilities to observe student and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior.
- Understanding of the Hazard Communication Plan and MSDS forms as well as other GD Safety Programs including but not limited to Lock out/Tag out, Confined Spaces, Respirators, and Bloodborne Pathogens.
How to Apply
Click APPLY HERE to apply online!