Singing, fresh air and new friends...join us for the best summer of your life!
close to the mountains and the ocean
- Denmark, Maine
- $4,000.00 - $4,000.00 / season
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 2 months. (Jun 07, 2023)
The Camp Walden Head Counselor is a member of our Leadership Team and assists in the overall running of camp. They are primarily responsible for the success of staff in their roles as activity teachers and leaders. Camp Walden is a traditional summer camp. We pride ourselves in creating an atmosphere which encourages self-confidence, promotes leadership skills, and provides a trusting and secure environment where campers and staff can thrive. The ideal candidate loves children and has experience working in a leadership role at a summer camp. This is an opportunity to be a part of an amazing summer camp community and on a beautiful lake in Maine.
Responsibilities include: planning and running staff training, evaluating staff and providing them with regular informal feedback, assigning day and evening time off and running daily and weekly staff meetings. The Head Counselor also oversees evening activities and weekly all-camp cook-out dinners.
Specific responsibilities include:
Staff support, training, feedback and evaluation
- Communicate with staff prior to the beginning of camp
- Meet and greet staff
- Assist director, associate director and assistant director with running staff training.
- Supervise and train department heads
- Help ensure morale of staff by monitoring that staff get enough rest, time and days off
- Provide staff with regular encouragement, guidance and feedback
- Facilitate 360 staff evaluations
- Run short staff meetings after meals informing staff on upcoming events and responsibilities
- Run weekly all-staff meeting
- Support staff’s efforts to ensure they are doing their job, (i.e. timeliness, care of equipment and ordering of supplies, proper dress code, appropriate instruction.)
- Assign staff to bunk duty
- Assign staff to nights off and days off for staff
Leadership at Camp
- Attend daily meetings with leadership staff to support the running of camp
- Assist Assistant Director with staff bunk assignments
- Assist Head of Trips with staffing
- Assist with execution of evening programs
- Supervise staff running of Sunday evening cookout: set up, clean up, and fire lighting for campfire
- Organize Saturday night counselor feasts and assign responsible department(s)
- Organize and oversee the writing of mid-season and end of the season camper reports
- Coordinate and oversee counselor travel at the end of camp
- Along with the assistant director supervise the cleaning of camp after campers leave
This is a seasonal position June 7 to August 12, 2023. The salary is competitive and depends upon experience. It includes generous time off, room, board, weekly laundry and a travel allowance.