Great networking opportunity and resume builder!
We are an ACA accredited coed camp in northeastern Pennsylvania, 3 hours from NYC and Philadelphia. Summer 2018 marks our 96th year! We welcome campers and staff from over 25 US states and 15 countries.
Located in the beautiful Endless/Pocono Mountains in PA. We are in Honesdale, PA in Wayne County.
About Camp Towanda
Camp Towanda is an "all-around" camp with cultural activities too. We offer HIGH-QUALITY instruction, supervision, facilities and care to our campers. In turn, a sense of security to their families. Quite simply, we provide a fun time in a safe and responsible environment with great people.
We run a well-rounded, wholesome program for all levels of interests and abilities for kids ages 6-17. Our program is very diversified- Tennis and water-skiing are just as popular as Drama, Arts & Crafts, Rocketry, Radio, and Lacrosse! Every department at Camp Towanda is important, valued and professional.
Not only do we take pride in our beautiful 300-acre facility, but our superb and dedicated staff. The role of a counselor varies. Department heads, specialists, group leaders, general counselors and kitchen staff all play a vital role as being part of the nucleus of the camp experience. Applicants must be patient, fun-loving, spirited and genuinely concerned with the welfare and development of young people. In fact; we only look for staff members who will serve as role models for our campers.
The role of a camp counselor encompasses a lot of different areas and the hours are extensive. You need major stamina! There is not much downtime for the entire summer. It is also an experience of a lifetime. You will develop lifelong friendships here. The majority of our staff comes back for several years.
The Employee Experience
Working at Towanda is about living together with people from all over the United States, and 15 or more countries - it's a cultural experience met with friendships that will last a lifetime! We work and play in a beautiful environment where you can find out what you are capable of in a nurturing community, leading children and developing their life skills. Our jobs give staff independence and sense of accomplishment and an opportunity to develop leadership skills.
A summer at camp gives you an opportunity to take time to enjoy all the activities your campers participate in, appreciate the natural surroundings, add the great things you learned and accomplished to your CV/Resume, and make a few dollars while learning and growing in steps you never imagined!
- We prefer a minimum of two years of University by the start of camp, but we will consider those with less.
- Applicants should have experience in a program area to assist or lead.
- Previous experiences working with children is essential.
- We look for staff to be positive role models with the ability to set great examples for their campers in a fun-loving setting.
Room and Board
All counselor and instructor staff live with children in cabins. The cabins all have electricity, showers, and toilets within the building. Most cabins average 10 campers and 3 staff. Senior staff have private rooms in staff housing.
Food service is family style with well-stocked salad bars offering fresh fruits and vegetables at each meal.
In addition to providing an experience of a lifetime, making friends from all over the world, and mentoring children, Camp Towanda provides:
- Transportation to our nearby town, Honesdale, on time off
- Competitive Salary
- Travel Allowance
- Room & Board
- College Internship or Credit
- Weekly days off....and 4 nights off most weeks
- Staff Lounge with Internet
- Staff Recreation
Getting Here and Getting Around
Staff with cars are welcome to bring them to camp.
Airport pick-ups at Newark, NJ (EWR) and Scranton, PA (AVP) are scheduled based on staff orientation dates.
Camp provides transportation to town on nights off.
Enterprise Rent a car offers an excellent rate for those staff interested in renting a car...minimum age 21.
Time off is spent by our staff in the beautiful Pocono Mountains of PA, Catskill Mountains of NY!
- Great climbing, hiking, biking adventures throughout the region.
- The Delaware River offers phenomenal canoe, kayak and rafting activities.
- The Shawangunks Mountains (Gunks) are an hour away for the best climbing in the entire east coast.
- New York City and Philadelphia are under 3 hours from camp.
- Bethel Woods, the site of the 1969 Woodstock Festival is 30 minutes away and is a great venue for top-shelf concerts all summer.
- Hershey Park, Dorney Park and the Harley Davidson Museum are a few other exciting places to visit.