Get paid to play outside with kids and live in a beautiful forest!
Our two camps have access to lakes, trails, waterfalls, rock walls, and ropes courses.
- Perrysville, Ohio
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Feb 22, 2023)
Welcome to Nuhop! Here we believe in creating a safe, dynamic, learning environment where people are empowered to succeed. We are looking for both full-time seasonal and part time instructors to teach outdoor education curriculum to schools across Ohio. A typical week involves working at one or both of our campgrounds hosting schools who come in to try the high ropes challenge course, canoe on the lake, hike to waterfalls, and learn about the natural world. Students stay an average of 3 days / 2 nights with a combination of teacher/parent supervision and guidance from the Outdoor Education staff.
Outdoor Education Field Instructors - Full-time seasonal positions available February 27th - May 26th, 2022, with optional extra work the week before and the week after the season. Part-time instructors are also needed throughout the season
Seasonal contract pay starts at a minimum of $500/Week with the following benefits: On-site housing, food when working with clients, and access to our facilities including laundry, internet, the Mohican state park trails, two lakes, two rock walls, and two high ropes courses.
Part-time instructor pay starts at $12/hour for the morning (8 am-3 pm) and evening (3 pm-10 pm) shifts, or you can choose days of the week to work and spend the whole day at camp (9 am-5 pm or 9 am-10 pm)
Salaries increase with additional qualifications, including WFA/WFR, ACCT Level 1 or 2, teaching license, master's degree, or USA Archery Level 2 certification, and canoe instructor certification.
Instructors will teach and lead outdoor education sessions through:
- Approaching learning and engagement through a multidisciplinary teaching approach
- Guiding hikes in the state forest
- Engaging students in environmental and STEAM-centered curriculum
- Facilitating challenge courses, canoeing, rock climbing, and other adventure programming
- Promoting social and emotional learning with our team-building initiatives
- Making the program accessible for all students, regardless of ability level and background
Candidates will be:
- Driven and motivated to serve
- Flexible and able to thrive in a team setting
- Kind, honest, and positive role models for the students and districts Nuhop serves
- Equipped to instruct with compassion
- Ready to challenge themselves to learn and grow
- Inspired by Nuhop’s mission and focus leading to professional outcomes
- Comfortable working outdoors in all types of weather
- Willing to take initiative to assist with cleaning, overnight supervision, and other duties
Candidates need to be comfortable working outdoors, excited about teaching, and able to pass a background check. This is the perfect job for recent college graduates, prospective teachers, students invested in a gap year process, professionals in environmental studies, and retired educators.
The position will require evening and overnight duties throughout the season, including staying in cabins with campers a few nights per week. Meals and on-site housing, internet and laundry are included as part of the full-time seasonal contract. The initial training will last two weeks, and continued training will be offered as the season progresses.