Come cook and live in beautiful WY!
20 miles south of Jackson Hole- close to Grand Teton National Park
- Jackson, WY
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 2 months (Jun 07, 2020)
CITY KIDS WILDERNESS PROJECT
Position Title: Camp Cook
Supervisor: Site Director
Position: Full-time, Seasonal- Summer; Residential
Dates of Employment: June 7 -August 25, 2020
The Camp Cook works with a small team of colleagues to provide a summer adventure-based program. Our mission is to inspire confidence and leadership in children and teens from Washington, D.C. We provide a multi-year experiential curriculum focusing on outdoor adventure, backcountry trips and personal growth during three 16-19 day summer sessions. Base camp is our beautiful property, Broken Arrow Ranch, in Hoback Junction just south of Jackson Hole.
The primary role of the Camp Cook is to:
- Work in a team of three cooks to prepare daily meals for an average of 50 people per meal, up to 3 meals per day.
- Share in menu planning & food inventorying responsibilities
- Take responsibility for meal clean-up and kitchen/dining room cleanliness and maintenance
- Help with the preparation of backcountry trip food supplies
- Prepare stored meals for staff during off days
This position is a great way to gain experience in youth development, outdoor education and camp life. The Camp Cook will also serve as a substitute staff member for counselors & activity leaders.
Minimally each cook will be assigned 1 day/week to support camp activities. Other times & nights may be requested for youth support:
- Supervise/support campers during camp activities, morning and evening initiative and meals
- Supervise campers and assist with evening cabin time activities including evening reflection, check-ins and shower time. Includes sleeping overnight in cabins with youth.
- Support program staff on day trips with the campers
- Assist on overnight trips – dependent on interest and experience
- Support the “on-call team” when responding to logistical issues or emergencies for wilderness trips.
- Assist with supervision of injuries/ill/struggling campers.
This is a residential position and thereby is not limited to these stated responsibilities. Staff share in all of the day to day tasks which are an integral part of living in a small camp community and kitchen staff may be asked to assist with other camp needs. Staff members have scheduled full and partial days off both during sessions and during intersessions. The Camp Cook schedule varies week to week, each Camp Cook is guaranteed 1 day off per week.
Comfortable accommodations and great food provided; laundry facility and workers’ compensation insurance. Training for the right person. Please take time to learn more about the program at www.citykidsdc.org
- Prior experience in food service preferred but not required
- Ability to be impeccable clean and hygienic in kitchen
- ServSafe Food Handler Certification (or similar) or willingness to become certified
- General ability to assist with food preparation, and a desire to learn
- Willingness, positive attitude, and stamina to perform required meal clean-up, kitchen and dining room cleaning and maintenance important
- Personal attributes such as patience, willingness to learn, energy, flexibility, initiative, organization, and responsibility a must
- Preferred: 21+, valid/clean driver's license, experience with children
- Ability to relate well to others and work effectively with a variety of people Patience, enthusiasm, proactive communication style, flexibility and energy are a must.
- Cultural competency, the ability to work in diverse communities and a commitment to social justice, equity & inclusion
- Experience in teaching, counseling, and guiding youth
- Confidence in addressing and directing both adults and kids.
- Knowledge & understanding of wilderness and backcountry trip coordination and summer camps.
- An understanding and commitment to the goals and philosophy of City Kids and experiential education.
- Ability to provide appropriate structure, perspective and guidance in the process of program delivery.
- First Aid & CPR certification or higher.