Come cook and live in beautiful WY!
20 miles south of Jackson Hole- close to Grand Teton National Park
- Jackson, WY
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Jun 01, 2019)
The Outdoor Adventure Program Staff works with a small team of co-workers to provide a summer adventure-based program for youth. Our mission is to inspire confidence and leadership in children and teens from Washington, D.C. We provide a multi-year experiential curriculum focusing on outdoor adventure, backcountry trips and personal growth during three 16-19 day summer sessions. Base camp is our beautiful property, Broken Arrow Ranch, in Hoback Junction just south of Jackson Hole.
The Head Cook is responsible for all aspects of food service management for a small residential camp including
- Providing three meals daily for an average of 40-50 people per meal
- Preparing stored meals for staff during off days
- Design menu’s to accommodate food allergies, and vegetarian and vegan options
- Management of overall kitchen operation, food preparation and service in accordance with health regulations and the Wyoming Summer Food Service Program.
- Purchasing (local and delivered) and record keeping
- Maintaining a clean kitchen
- Supervises one full-time Kitchen Assistant.
- The Head Cook must be open and willing to camper assistance in the kitchen, as well as occasionally cooking programs.
This is a residential position and thereby is not limited to these stated responsibilities. Staff share in all of the day to day tasks which are an integral part of living in a small camp community and kitchen staff may be asked to assist with other camp needs. Staff members have scheduled full and partial days off both during sessions and during intersessions. The Kitchen/Program Assistant’s time-off schedule will be determined by supervisors and based on the needs of the camp. Comfortable accommodations and great food provided; laundry facility and workers’ compensation insurance. Training for the right person. Please take time to learn more about the program at www.citykidsdc.org
- City Kids is a small community and is looking for a cook to engage in the camp community, provide quality food, and maintain a well-organized kitchen.
- Experience planning and preparing healthy meals for small groups (30-50 people);
- Skilled in menu planning, including accommodating food allergies, special diets, and making kid-friendly meals
- Ability to stay within a budget and purchase accordingly
- Ability to keep organized financial record keeping, health regulations
- Experience supervising others in the kitchen
- Ability to interact positively with campers and counselors- a team player interested in being an integral part of our camp program.
Certifications & Driving:
- ServSafe Food Handler Certification (or similar) or willingness to become certified
- First Aid & CPR Certification
- A valid/clean driver's license
- Community Values & Work Ethic
- Personal attributes such as patience, willingness to learn, energy, flexibility, initiative, organization, and responsibility a must
- Experience with children a plus
- Ability to relate well to others and work effectively with a variety of people: patience, enthusiasm, proactive communication style, flexibility and energy are a must.
- An understanding and commitment to the goals and philosophy of City Kids and experiential education.
- Cultural competency, the ability to work in diverse communities and a commitment to social justice, equity & inclusion