Magikeering, Human Development, & Living in Nature at Augusta!
If you are seeking an extraordinary summer of personal and professional growth, welcome... we are seeking you, too! Camp Augusta is an 80 acre, non-profit, residential summer camp located in the Sierra Nevada mountains of Northern California, and offers a one-of-a-kind experience for campers and staff alike.
The nearest town in Nevada City, about a 15 minute drive from camp. We are approximately an hour from Sacramento and Tahoe, and about 3 hours due east of San Francisco.
About Camp Augusta
People can have a job, a career, or a calling. Camp Augusta is looking for folks who have a calling. A summer in the woods with us is centered around two primary pillars:
- An incredible amount of FUN. Camp Augusta's engine runs on a potent fuel of imagination, creativity, intentionality, dreams, and saying 'yes'. Campers and staff work together to create unique experiences that are unmatched in inventive inspiration!
- Meaningful GROWTH. We are fully invested in supporting the development of empathy, self-confidence, independence, social skills (EQ), and creativity within all of our campers (ages 7-16). Staff will learn an enormous amount about living in community, transferable communication skills, time management, program development, and themselves throughout their time at Camp Augusta.
If you absolutely love spending time nurturing your youthfulness by playing with and supporting kids; are jazzed about being an integral part of a close-knit, intentional community of staff; and get goosebumps of delight thinking about truly transformational growth and learning opportunities, we may be a great fit!
The Employee Experience
We'll be the first to say it... working at Camp Augusta is a horse of a different color! We offer a HUGE range of daily activities and will train you to lead them prior to and during the summer - some you've seen at other camps, others which are rare indeed. The variety you can experience throughout the summer and even within a single day is notable. We are also constantly adding new programming ideas, so if you have a passion that is not yet represented at Augusta, you can help bring it to our camp!
From the moment you begin your application, you'll notice that we are looking to get to know you in a very deep and very real way. This epitomizes our community... we are seekers, constantly bringing attention and awareness to possibilities for growth. Our staff training, at three and a half weeks, is longer than any other that we know of in the country - much of it is centered around child development, healthy counseling techniques, and communication tools like NVC. We embody this love of presence with our campers and staff, planting seeds of growth that can extend far beyond a summer at camp.
Imagine yourself growing and stretching in ways you've never considered before. Imagine meeting the daily challenges of counseling and mentoring children with your full heart and the support of your staff community. Imagine singing songs around a campfire under the towering pines and glittering stars, reconnecting with a mission of fostering the beauty, awe, potential, and innocence of childhood...
Learn more about the staff experience by exploring this page on our website!
Augustans are folks who are internally motivated and inspired to lead powerful lives of service and integrity. Because of the highly rigorous experience of counseling and living in community at Camp Augusta, we look for the following qualities in our staff:
- LOVES working with kids. Gains energy from the experience.
- Revels in opportunities for creativity, imagination, and play
- Abundant energy - physical and emotional
- Openminded, flexible, adventurous, and easy-going
- Active facilitators of goodwill, positivity, and optimism
- High emotional intelligence, depth, and desire to continue to grow in this realm
- Insatiable curiosity about the world, themselves, and brings a growth mindset to life
- Celebrates being part of a close-knit community - the joys and challenges!
Room and Board
Rustic housing is available for all staff - typically an open-air cabin, platform tent, yurt, or treehouse. Our food is exceptional... it is largely organic and is all made from scratch. If food is your thing, please read more about how we do our food deliciousness here.
Some of the perks of joining our crew include:
- Family of fellow staff members from all over the world
- Unlimited opportunity for personal and professional growth
- Experience teaching a huge range of amazing activities
- A summer spent outdoors - fresh air, stargazing, campfires, wilderness trips, river adventures, and more
- Communal computers for checking personal email, etc. on time off
Getting Here and Getting Around
There is parking available for staff who choose to drive to Camp Augusta. For those flying into the area, we'll arrange to pick you up and drop you off from the Sacramento airport. We've also got shared camp vehicles for general use during time off.
Working at a summer camp involves long days full of different activities, adventures, joy, and challenges. It can be exhausting, and one of the most rewarding and memorable work experiences possible. At Camp Augusta, working hard is often equivalent to playing hard... nearly everything we do here revolves around tapping our collective creativity to inspire the members of our community with fun-filled experiences.
In the course of a single day, you may wake your campers up with a 70s-themed dance party; sing songs with other staff at breakfast; exchange life stories with campers while zip lining 80 feet above the ground; smear oatmeal on your fellow staff members' faces; play the role of a space vampire in a camp-wide game; and canoe into the middle of Lake Vera for stargazing.
The days here are incredibly full of wonder and surprises. What fun will you bring with you to Augusta?
Summer job openings include male and female Counselors for children 8-16 years old, Village Leaders, Food Services & Kitchen Team, an Arts Director; Puppet Master, Master of Fun & Games (large-scale game/logistics coordination); and a Wilderness Trips Leader. You'll enjoy delicious, organic, handmade meals; an incredible array of activities and character-driven games; and meaningful opportunities to learn about and understand child development in the most fun ways imaginable.
The Assistant Equestrian Director assists in running our program, feeding & mucking as well as general herd maintenance. Riding experience required, must be comfortable controlling a horse at all gaits and addressing minor behavioral issues (crow hopping, increase in speed, shying) quickly and effectively. Experience teaching and/or CHA certification preferred. Ideal for this person to be able to take the EQ Director position, so a willingness to commit to more than one summer.
Want to spend the summer in the deep woods, canoeing rivers, long horse treks, rock climbing, and more? We’ve got some trips you might enjoy! Must have experience with back country camping, working with children, and either have a WFR certification, or have the ability to obtain one.
We are a residential summer camp located in the Sierra Nevada mountains of Northern California that has a wilderness program for trips that vary from two days to two weeks throughout the summer. Wilderness Augusta trips are intentionally designed and facilitated outdoor adventures for children to make powerful, life-serving choices for themselves and others through challenging expeditions and in a skills-based learning environment. Our curriculum and itineraries focus on character development and outdoor leadership through environmental stewardship and awareness and outdoor living skills. We focus on a unique, intentional design of “success counseling” that allows counselors to address diverse learning styles, feelings and needs. We utilize powerful tools with campers such as: Challenge By Choice, Full Value Contract, 100% Responsibility, Compassionate communication and many other opportunities for the benefit of camper growth in mind, body and spirit.
-You must be at least 19 years old
(3 years older than oldest camper; average age of staff is 23/24)
(It is not uncommon to have 29 year old counselors. 39 happens to!)
-Make sure this camp is right for you. Read the entire staff experience section on our website (http://campaugusta.org/staff/experience/). Read the PDF files contained there as well.
-Summer is from May 17th through August 13th
-If desired, there are pre-season family camps and school groups, starting in late April. Later start dates are possible depending on skills. Post summer work is available as well.
Living and Working at Camp Augusta Requires:
· Flexibility (responding to quickly changing schedules and needs)
· Stamina (on the job 24/7, working in a physically demanding environment that requires the utmost care and attention)
· Communication skills to people of all ages and backgrounds (fellow staff, children, and parents, including those from other countries)
· Patience and compassion (working with children and staff)
· Conflict resolution (other staff as well as children)
· Ability to work in stressful situations (very tight schedule, high expectations, rapidly changing environment)
· Ability to react quickly and stay calm in high stress environments (accidents/injuries, high-stress cabin group)
· Ability to work with and relate to people of various ages (child-adult)
· Program and curriculum creation/development/evolution/assessment/improvement (new clinic creations, evening program creations, etc.)
How to Apply
The Apply Now link will lead you to our application instructions. Read carefully... you are looking for the 6 Questions, which you can then email directly to us. :)
If you are navigating from a smartphone or would like more information you can also fill out your details in our contact form and someone from our hiring team will email you with more details. https://www.coolworks.com/camp-augusta/form/contact