Summer Camp Head Chef Needed!
Gorgeous lakeside setting.
- Sisters, Oregon
- up to $140.00 / day
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Jun 16, 2023)
At Caldera, the kitchen staff is a very important part of the Caldera Community and is welcome to participate in daily program activities when kitchen duties are complete. Head Chef, Sous Chef, and up to five Kitchen Assistants maintain Caldera’s kitchen. Kitchen staff prepare meals that are healthy, delicious, and appealing to both youth and adults (roughly 100-120 each session).
The Head Chef oversees up to six staff and is responsible for food preparation as well as maintaining a friendly, sanitary kitchen and dining space. This position manages the food budget (approximately $25,000), purchasing, meal planning, staff oversight and scheduling for the Sous Chef and five assistants, and on-the-job training for all kitchen staff. The Head Chef ensures that Caldera meals meet Federal Summer Food Service Program meal requirements. This position begins before youth and staff arrive.
- Salary/Rate of Pay:
- $25/hr for approximately 20 hours prep work June 1-25
- $140/day during camp sessions, with 1% increase for each year of experience working at Camp Caldera (not to exceed 7%)
- Training Rate: $50-140/day depending on whether meals are prepared
- Room and board provided during days with programming; room only during non-programming days. A light dinner will be provided on staff arrival days. Brunch is served on the last day of each session.
Location: This is a seasonal position at our Arts Center- 31500 Blue Lake Drive, Sisters, OR 97756 (transportation not provided).
Choose one or more sessions; placement is dependent on availability & scheduling (must be available for all dates in session(s) chosen). Must be available on the following dates and times to start each session:
- 4:00-6:00 June 16 Staff Training in Portland
- 9:00-5:00 June 17-18 Staff Training in Portland
- Arrive between 11:00 am-12:00 pm June 25 for Staff Training June 27-28
- Arrive between 1:00-2:00 pm June 30* for the Discovery 1 (Middle School) session July 1-8
- Arrive between 4:00-5:00 pm July 11* for the Discovery 2 session July 12-19
- Arrive between 4:00-5:00 pm July 22* for the Immersion 1 (High School) session July 23-Aug 1
- Arrive between 4:00-5:00 pm Aug 4* for the Immersion 2 session Aug 5-13
*Indicates Half day compensation
- Ability to abide by Caldera COVID-19 and other safety protocols
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and able to show proof of vaccination
- Minimum two years experience managing a kitchen, including: staff, food inventory, budgets, and menus
- This position arrives two days early and departs after final staff meal and after the summer kitchen has been closed for the season
- Current Oregon Food Handler’s Permit required (must attach copy)
- Prior experience in food service, nutrition, and/or youth programming is desirable
- Familiarity with anti-oppression frameworks and experience working with diverse staff and youth
- Ability to set appropriate boundaries in a proactive and positive manner
- Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular and long hours. Additionally, you must have the ability to deal with limited cell and internet service and daily exposure to outdoor factors such as sun, heat, bugs, bats, snakes, etc.
Please see the job posting for further details.
How to Apply
Please apply using the provided link.