Cafe Manager for Bright Angel Bicycles and Café located in the Grand Canyon National Park
See the Grand Canyon in a whole new way! Now interviewing candidates for the 2019 season!
Here at Bright Angel Bicycles & Cafe we agree with Edward Abbey's quote: “A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles.”
Bright Angel Bicycles and Cafe is located next to the Mather Point Visitor Center located on the south rim of the Grand Canyon National Park.
Jobs in the Spotlight
About Bright Angel Bicycles & Cafe LLC
Bright Angel Bicycles & Cafe is the only family owned operation at Grand Canyon National Park!
Owners Wes Neal and Kyle George started the business in 2010 when careers as Grand Canyon river guides were ending and their families were beginning. Both owners had a strong desire to continue a Grand Canyon "relationship" after years of adventures. The Canyon had cast it's infamous "spell"! Both owners continue to be involved and are now very happy to be engaged with so many incredible staff members who love the Grand Canyon as much as they do.
Our company's goal is to provide an active and fun activity while encouraging a sense of stewardship for people visiting Grand Canyon National Park. We often hear comments from customers after they finish a bike tour saying that they are excited to get on their bike after they have returned home. We love to hear these comments as we know we are helping to inspire park visitors to lead a healthy lifestyle long after they have had an incredible experience at the Grand Canyon.
In our cafe we have committed to offering quality espresso beverages. We often receive reviews such as "Best espresso we have had in the USA"! We strive to demonstrate a sense of stewardship in offering better tasting snack products and utilizing locally sourced grab and go food, roasted coffee and fresh bagels! Little touches like these set us apart in the service industry. We are small, but we deliver!
Our biggest challenge is the fact that we can only offer communal housing. Most employees live directly in the park after being hired. We attempt to pair everyone with compatible roommates. We cannot guarantee single occupancy rooms. We operate seasonally, so we see increases in housing needs in the late spring and through the summer. Shoulder seasons of late fall and winter relax and those selected to stay can enjoy a beautiful winter scene in northern Arizona.
We would love for you to join our team! We invite you to come and experience what the Grand Canyon has to offer!
The Employee Experience
Come live and work in one of the seven natural wonders of the world! Where else can you work and then take your lunch break by sitting and enjoying the incredible views only the Grand Canyon can offer? Or, where else can you walk or ride your bike through magnificent ponderosa pine forests on your way to and from work? Besides living in one of the most beautiful places on earth you get to work with some of the nicest people you'll ever wish to meet while helping some of the friendliest customers who come from all over the world to visit the Grand Canyon. Come work in an exciting, fast paced, fun business and leave with memories of great adventures and new friends to last a lifetime.
- Capable of performing one or more of the following jobs for at least the remainder of the 2019 season (August 24 thru November 1st) and open to the possibility of staying through to the end of the 2019 season (October 30, 2020):
- Manager - Cafe (Year-round position)
- Manager - Bicycle Rentals and Operations (Seasonal position)
- Bicycle Mechanic (one year verifiable mechanic experience in a bike shop required)
- Shuttle Van Drivers (must be over 25 and have a clean driving record for previous 3 or more years)
- Bicycle Rental Yard Techs
- Bicycle Tour Guides (No prior guiding experience is preferred. We'll teach what you need to know. Must enjoy talking to and interacting with people!)
- Understands customer service is the number one priority at all times.
- Will anticipate and respond to a wide variety of customer needs.
- Is an upbeat, positive team member ready to cooperate with a diverse workforce.
- Is a self-initiating learner and proactive in identifying and completing tasks.
- Is committed to workplace safety and following established procedures and protocols.
- Is committed to implementing environmental protection practices both on and off the job.
- Is willing to accept shared housing arrangements and be responsible to fellow roommates/housemates and our housing code.
- Is a United States citizen or possesses a Green Card (permanent resident) work visa. We cannot hire J1 applicants.
Room and Board
We offer coed, shared living accommodations within the Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim). Our current monthly rental fee of $220 which covers all utilities, bed, dresser, closet space, access to a full kitchen, living room, bathroom, washer & dryer. All employees are responsible for preparing their own food. Housing is located approximately 3.5 miles from our shop so it's easy to walk, ride a bike or take a free shuttle bus to work. Personal cars are allowed. Because we allow employees to consume alcohol when not at work our housing is only available to employees who are over 21 years on the first day of work. Sorry, but pets are not allowed at this time!
- Free use of a loaner bicycle for getting to and from work or for general purposes within the park.
- Wholesale pricing on a wide range of bicycle and outdoor gear and accessories (available after 60 day probation completion).
- Discounted food while on shift.
- Earned sick pay of up to 40 hours per calendar year.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Shuttle service is available from Groome Transportation which leaves from the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport and Take Tours which leaves from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon most every day. Once inside the park there are free shuttle buses run by the National Park Service. Bright Angel Bikes offers free loaner bikes for use while employed. Bikes are far and away the easiest way to get around the park.
The Grand Canyon has so many outdoor activities by just walking out your door. Some of these activities include hiking, backpacking and biking. Lake Powell is a 2.5 hour drive away and Flagstaff is 1.5 hours away. Many native reservations are located in southern Utah, Colorado and New Mexico and are within easy reach!
Located within the park the Grand Canyon Village operates a recreation center which offers many organized activities ranging from ping pong tournaments to softball and volleyball leagues. The recreation center also offers a weight room, computer lab and free wi-fi. They also offer weekly shuttle service to and from Flagstaff at a reasonable cost. The recreation center is located less than a mile from our employee housing.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume via email: email@example.com
The remainder of our 2019 bike season runs until November 1st. However, we will continue to rent bicycles during the winter provided the weather allows. Our cafe is open year around except for Christmas Day.