Lead and enhance the culinary team creating great food inspired by California flavors, starting $65K
Picture perfect setting to host an unforgettable experience!
- Big Sur, California
- $65,000.00 / year
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Executive Chef $65,000-66,000/year; Housing Provided
Nestled deep in the mighty redwood forest of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Big Sur Lodge has long been a haven for writers, artists, seekers of beauty, and weary travelers in search of the peace and majesty that the ancient redwoods bestow on body and soul. Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is often called “mini-Yosemite” for its natural splendors. With the rugged central California Pacific coastline to the west and the dramatic Santa Lucia mountain range to the east, Big Sur Lodge offers a rejuvenating escape from the hectic pace of everyday life.
Join our amazing team at the Big Sur Lodge, which is well known for its exquisite beauty, dramatic vistas, and temperate climates. We work together every day to provide an amazing experience for our guests and team members alike!
The Executive Chef is a year round opening!
Our team members enjoy amazing benefits such as*:
Lead and enhance the culinary team creating great good inspired by California flavors, starting pay from 65K +!
- Low cost, dorm style housing available for non-local team members
- Employer provided meals
- Free parking
- Discounts in our retail shop and restaurant
- Discounts on lodging (based on availability)
- Complimentary camping opportunities
- Health insurance options
- 401K matching
- Paid time off
- Employee discounts at recreational and lodging facilities nationwide
- And more!
*Benefits may vary depending on employment type
We also encourage our team members to take advantage of the property! Whether you enjoy a slow morning walk or prefer a vigorous hike through the numerous footpaths of this breathtaking 1,006-acre state park, you’ll be welcomed by some of the most scenic wonders our country has to offer.
Apply today to join our All-star team!
The Executive Chef is responsible for managing the daily production, preparation and presentation of all food in the unit. The Executive Chef must help the General Manager supervise and carry out day-to-day operations in the unit. The Executive Chef must also provide supervision, direction and training to all employees within the kitchen; achieve operating and financial goals; ensure food quality; and meet client objectives and/or customer needs.
- Plan and develop menus, and forecast portion specifications to unit. Analyze and cost food items. Ensure compliance with established budget.
- Recruit, supervise, train, schedule, discipline, and direct the culinary and utility staff.
- Control expenses. Determine food and supply needs for venue. Maintain inventory control of food and supplies.
- Maintain and ensure safe facility environment including standards for food production and handling, cooking, housekeeping, sanitation, dress, cash control, and employee hygiene.
- Plan, schedule, supervise, and participate in the culinary work of the event to ensure proper production, distribution of assignments, and prompt and efficient preparation of foods. Ensure food quality standards are met and amounts are sufficient to meet expected need.
- Direct the preparation and cooking of food for the unit.
- Maintain awareness of safety issues, and report them immediately to your manager.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent required; Culinary or Associate’s degree in food service or related field.
- Food Protection Manager Certification. Demonstration of food safety knowledge and sanitation.
- Computer proficiency with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- Strong customer service abilities; actively looks for ways to assist customers and coworkers.
- Experience in analyzing financial reports.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to problem solve.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 25 lbs. regularly, 30-35 lbs. frequently, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to stand for the entire work day.
- Climbing steps regularly.
- Withstanding temperature extremes in freezer, refrigerator walk-in and grill areas.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English.
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and the ability to speak clearly so that you can be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Constantly communicates and receives verbal communication with other employees in fast-paced kitchen.
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties.
- Commercial Kitchen Machinery, Appliances, Tools, and Utensils.
- Typical office equipment (computers, phone system, fax, copiers, scanners, among others).
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.