Mountain Ranch Summer Camp in California Seeks Year-Round Ranch Manager
425 acre working ranch in the middle of the Shasta Trinity National Forest.
- year round
- Hayfork, California
- $47,000.00 - $52,000.00 / year
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 2 months. (Jun 01, 2023)
The Bar 717 Ranch is seeking a Ranch Manager to join our team as an essential part of our year-round operations.
The Bar 717 Ranch is a 425-acre working ranch located in Trinity County, halfway between the cities of Redding and Eureka, in Northern California. During the summer months, Camp Trinity on the Bar 717 Ranch welcomes children from ages 8-16 to live, work, and play in the pristine wilderness as part of our large ranch family. The ranch is also home to animals including approximately 25 horses, 20 beef cows, 2-4 goats, and miscellaneous other animals (pigs, turkeys, rabbits, chickens, etc.).
Our Ranch Manager plays a vital role in maintaining the facilities, spaces, and animals on the ranch, both for the operation of our summer camp program and during the rest of the year. We seek individuals (or a couple/family) who are hardworking, enjoy being outdoors, and can gain personal satisfaction from a job well done. The person or people in this role will work closely with our directors and year-round camp leadership team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Planning, coordination, oversight, and execution of ranch facilities maintenance, including upkeep of existing buildings and construction of new buildings and facilities as needed.
- Oversight and management of ranch crew.
- Trailering and transportation of animals, as needed, for vet care, boarding, breeding, sale, or otherwise.
- Maintenance of ranch domestic and irrigation water systems.
- Maintenance of ranch roads.
- Ranch Managers are also responsible for oversight and daily functions of the Ranch when Directors are not present on site. Activities may include: preparing Ranch and/or guest rooms for visitors, answering/returning phone calls, being physically present on the Ranch, etc.
- Represent the Bar 717 Ranch in a professional manner at all times
Fall to Spring:
- Feeding and care for all Ranch animals September-June, including feeding, cleaning pens and stalls as needed, providing or coordinating vet care, purchasing/picking up feed, general maintenance of barns, pens, corrals, fences, gates to be safe and well-functioning, managing animals on pasture or range, including moving them as needed. Weekly Saturday trash collection and dump run.
- Grounds maintenance Sept-June: including work such as irrigating and mowing of lawns, raking and removing leaves, pruning fruit trees, hedges and ornamentals as needed, planting lawns and pastures, trees/shrubs/flowers, general upkeep of Ranch grounds so as to be presentable at all times.
- Assisting with general winterizing of Ranch structures and systems.
- Assisting with set-up for summer camp.
- Assist with animal care for all Ranch animals June-Sept, as needed to support the summer camp program.
- Oversight of seasonal ranch crew
- Ability to reside on the ranch year-round.
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal day-to-day supervision, and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to plan, manage and complete multiple, diverse tasks of differing priorities.
- Strong communication skills with supervisors, peers, and other community members.
- Willingness to seek and accept supervision and guidance.
- Enthusiastic, organized and hardworking with good judgment, patience, adaptability and self-control.
- Accepting of diversity in culture, race, sexual orientation, religion, gender identity, and ethnicity.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
- All resident camp staff must demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with animal care
- General building and construction skills
- Ability to operate and maintain ranch equipment including vehicles, tractors, trailers, motorcycles, quads, etc.
- Familiarity with heavy equipment
- Prior experience in youth development setting and/or youth residential communities such as schools/summer camps
- Must be able to physically negotiate uneven terrain and walk up to three miles in mountainous conditions.
- The ability to lift and maneuver hay bales up to 120 lbs is required.
- Barnyard conditions require the ability to perform job duties in muddy/wet or hot/dusty conditions.
Hours, Compensation, & Benefits:
- Full time (this is not a 9-5 job, schedule flexibility is required )
- Salary range $47,000-$52,000; compensation dependent on experience
- Housing and utilities provided
- Subscription health care plan included
- 401k retirement plan with employer contribution
Life on the Ranch:
The Ranch will be your home—and we want you to feel at home. Our location is beautiful and remote. The Ranch is surrounded by the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, so our nearest neighbor is miles away and we are several hours from most major cities (6 hours from San Francisco, 4 hours from Sacramento). In coming to live and work on the Ranch, you are joining a community of like-minded people working for common and worthy goals. Ranch Managers must be willing to invest themselves in our collective endeavor to maintain and improve the ranch for the health and well-being of our broader community, including camp residents and staff, campers and visitors, and camp livestock and animals. Additional benefits of this role include flexibility in scheduling your day-to-day, connecting with the cycles of life and the seasons, growing and eating fresh food and breathing fresh air. We expect our Ranch Managers to be present; to be an active part of our Ranch community, and to strive to appreciate all that life on the Bar 717 Ranch has to offer.
The Bar 717 Ranch is committed to core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 17197 Hyampom Rd, Hayfork, CA 96041.