Male Camp Counselors Needed for AstroCamp, Camp Motorsport & Camp CHOP
Our camp is located in Southern Virginia. At our 400+ acre facility, complete with its own lake!
- Near Clover, Virginia
- $350.00 / week
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 1 month (Jun 03, 2019)
Guided Discoveries, Inc.
Position: Cabin Counselor
Location: Camp Motorsport & AstroCamp
Work Year: Summer
Responsible to: Camp Director/Assistant Camp Director/Head Counselor(s)
- Must have completed one full year of college.
- Must be at least two years older than the oldest camper age group (oldest camper=17 years old).
- Past experience working with youth as a camp counselor, recreation leader or other similar experience.
- Must have strong communication and human relation skills.
- Certification in lifeguard training, first aid and CPR preferred (not required).
- Able to accept supervision and guidance and assist in activities where needed.
- Desire to live and work in remote camp community.
- Desire to work with children and ability to supervise them in related activities.
- Good character, integrity, flexibility and adaptability.
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control.
- Must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
A Counselor is responsible for the needs of the campers and to assist in the supervision and facilitating of camp programs, rules and regulations.
Specific Responsibilities (Examples of Duties):
- Learn the names and likes/dislikes of your campers. Be knowledgeable about the needs of campers including special diets, eating habits, etc.
- Assure the cleanliness of dorms and areas daily.
- Counsel campers when necessary.
- Create a cohesive bond within camper group.
- Supervise and participate in recreation programs, keeping control of the group.
- Adhere to safety rules and company policies and procedures for the well being of the campers and staff.
- Assist groups with programs. This may include lifeguarding, track stewarding, leading creative programs or other recreational activities during all recreational periods.
- Assist with meal supervision of food services, including set up and clean up. Sit with the campers during all meals.
- Assist with group arrival and departure procedures as assigned.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations when necessary.
- Assist with other departments when available.
- Any other duties as assigned by Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director or Head Counselor.
- Must be able to effectively work with the campers, counselors, supervisors and other staff.
- Ability to communicate any problems with staff or campers to Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director, or Head Counselor(s).
- Ability to assist campers and staff in the transition of camp life.
- Good physical condition with mobility, visual and auditory skills to maintain control of 8-10 campers in a variety of environments (in the dorms, on track, in learning sessions, in the water, etc).
- Ability to lift, carry and move heavy objects when necessary.
- Good communication and organization skills are necessary to ensure a good experience for the staff and campers.
- Ability to properly respond to emergency situations and enforce appropriate safety rules.
- Full meals at the camp dining hall when the kitchen is in operation.
- Workers compensation insurance and State disability insurance.
- Ability to participate in camp programs.
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful outdoor environment.
First-year counselors will receive $350.00 per week, along with opportunities to make extra money with extra responsibilities. (i.e. weekend campouts).