Educate, Engage, and Hike in Aspen, CO as a Summer Naturalist!
Aspen, Colorado is home to wilderness, recreation, and natural beauty, drawing in global visitors!
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 6 months. (Jun 03, 2024)
Every year, ACES conducts an intensive Summer Naturalist Internship program that trains and employs 12 naturalists at our main Hallam Lake visitor center in Aspen. For two weeks, naturalists will spend time at the sites they educate visitors in. Summer Naturalists receive valuable training and experience while they conduct naturalist-guided hikes and environmental education programs. These programs take place at Hallam Lake Nature Preserve, Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, and at the Maroon Bells.
The Summer Naturalist program has dual purpose. First, ACES aims to provide the best possible learning and working experience to naturalists. The second goal is informative and inspiring educational interactions with ACES tour and class participants.
- Lead interpretive nature walks at Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, and the Maroon Bells in the White River National Forest.
- Assist with management of the Hallam Lake visitor center and 25-acre nature preserve.
- Learn about Rocky Mountian ecology.
- Teach environmental education programs for children.
- Conduct bird of prey programs with ACES' resident injured birds of prey including a golden eagle.
- Educate the public on ACES efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through renewable energy projects.
- Involvement in special projects including indoor plants and live animals, indoor trout stream and rearing troughs, garden and guided trails, and birds of prey program.
Educational background in the natural sciences, environmental education, or related field; interested and enthusiastic about environmental education; self-motivated with a sincere interest in the environment; experience working with the public. First Aid & CPR certification. US citizens only.
Dates of Employment
June 3 - September 2, 2024 (June 3-14 mandatory staff training)
$300 per week stipend.
ACES at Rock Bottom Ranch weekly food box.
Shared housing, within walking distance of ACES provided.
Tuition-free participation in one or more of ACES' Naturalist Field School courses.
Download application on our website and turn in (with supporting information) on BambooHR by February 15, 2024.
Aspen Center for Environmental Studies
100 Puppy Smith Street
Aspen, CO 81611