Find your Zen as a Cook at The Art of Living Retreat Center!
Join a talented team in a tranquil environment!
- year round
- Boone, North Carolina
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Job type: Full-Time Position; On-Site
The Art of Living Retreat Center is an award-winning mountaintop wellness center in scenic Boone, NC. Surrounded by nature, we offer immersive experiences through the powerful practices of meditation, mindfulness, yoga, and Ayurveda.
Under the guidance of the Head Chef and Sous Chef, the Cook works to ensure a delicious and pleasant dining experience for our guests. This position follows recipes and is responsible for prepping and assembling dishes while maintaining a sanitary kitchen.
What you’ll do here:
- Assemble, prep, and cook ingredients according to recipes.
- Adhere to all policies set forth by the Chef
- Maintain a positive attitude and be a team player
- Assist with running food and ensuring that the buffet is properly stocked
- Ensure the kitchen is always clean and sanitized
- Taste all food that is being cooked and prepared to ensure it is properly seasoned
- Work with a high sense of urgency
- Assist in putting away all deliveries in a timely manner
- Always be careful to use all equipment properly and with caution
- Assist with keeping all coolers and storerooms organized, clean, and clear of all debris
- Communicate any personnel issues to the Sous or Head Chef in a timely manner
- Maintain a sanitary kitchen.
- Slice, cut, chop, minces, stir, grill, sautee, roast, fry, broil, and plate meals.
- Adhere to proper food handling, sanitation, and safety procedures of food storage areas, equipment, and work areas.
- Maintain temperature and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) logs as required
- Maintain appropriate dating, labeling, and rotation of all food items.
- Ensure smooth operation of cafeteria services during the absence of a supervisor.
- Complete cleaning according to daily and weekly schedules; including dishwashing/pot washing as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- High School Diploma
- 2 Years of experience in a professional kitchen is preferred
- Subsidized health/dental insurance after 90 days (Full-time only)
- Paid vacation and sick time after 90 Days (Full-time only)
- Generous 401k enrollment after 1 year (Full-time only)
- Free wifi
- Subsidized meal cards (Meals free for kitchen & dining employees)
- Complimentary meditation and yoga classes
- Complimentary participation in our Signature Happiness & Silence Retreats
- Opportunities for advancement within the organization
- Monthly Employee Appreciation Events - Bonfire, Dinner, Kayaking
- Opportunity to engage in a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and accomplishment
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful and serene environment
About The Art of Living Retreat Center
Opened in 2012, the Art of Living Retreat Center is an outgrowth of the Art of Living Foundation’s 40+ year global commitment to health, happiness, and Ayurveda.
Our community is built around a spiritual and wellness focus. While this may not necessarily be in your background, you should be able to deeply understand and appreciate this approach to life. For those who are inclined towards this lifestyle, there are plenty of opportunities for personal growth.
How to Apply
To apply for any position send your resume to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.