Work and live in the outdoors this season while exploring the best NH has to offer!
Numerous hiking trails, stunning vistas and opportunities to explore the region's natural beauty!
- Gorham, New Hampshire
- $19.00 - $19.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 04, 2024)
Ready to dive into epic outdoor adventures and make a positive impact on the environment? Look no further than the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) - the oldest conservation, education, and recreation organization in the USA! Our passion for the outdoors knows no bounds, and we want YOU to be a part of it. As an employee, you'll unlock access to exciting programs, policies, and procedures that empower you to make a real difference. Join the AMC team now and embark on the journey of a lifetime!
AMC/NH-JAG (Jobs for America’s Graduates) Crew Leaders are a three-month, seasonal staff position with the AMC’s Trails Department. Crew Leaders lead a Trail Crew for high schoolers throughout an eight-week season. The Crew is co-led by two AMC/NH-JAG Crew Leaders.
The Crew Leader position is an excellent developmental opportunity for individuals interested in conservation, outdoor education, and trail work. While prior trail work experience is preferred, it is not required, as these Crew Leader positions will receive substantial mentorship and training in trail work and leadership. Our priority is supporting the energetic teens that come through the program and leading them through an experience that is challenging, fun, and positive. Communication is critical, and we are constantly working to ensure that all the teens mentally and physically feel safe and leave happy as future stewards.
When in the field, leaders are expected to act as mentors of the Crew Members and oversee safety as well as proper outdoor skills associated with low impact methods. The Trail Crew is involved in a variety of projects maintaining and improving trails in the White Mountain National Forest and other lands near Berlin, NH. Leaders will work together to teach the crew trail-building and maintenance skills, such as installing and cleaning rock water bars, setting rock steps, building bog bridges, clearing corridor vegetation, etc. At the same time, they will emphasize safety, job skills, goal setting, communication, teamwork, work standards, and maintain a high level of morale. The crew will also be supported by a Field Coordinator and the Trails Supervisor.
While the crew works approximately 32-hour weeks (Monday-Thursday), Leaders also work on Fridays adding their total up to 40 hours/week. Work can be physically and mentally challenging for both the crew and the leaders. This position will maintain the same work schedule of 5 days on from Monday through Friday with weekends off. Crew Leaders occasionally have the option to work with another trail volunteer program or event on days when they are not working with the youth crew. Crew Leaders are offered housing at Camp Dodge Trails Center in Pinkham Notch, NH, living alongside other AMC trails staff.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING AT AMC
- Train and supervise up to ten teen crew members ensuring safety and quality trail work
- Coordinate daily morning pickup and afternoon drop off at Berlin High School Monday-Thursday
- Monitor group dynamics, facilitate regular debriefs, reflections, and check-ins
- Manage trail work projects in any setting, maintaining AMC trail work standards
- Keep track of project accomplishments daily
- Communicate decisions and group management techniques with Co-leader and Supervisor
- Foster a spirit of cooperation, safety, teamwork, responsible stewardship, and fun!
- Serve as the primary responder/coordinator in the event of an emergency
- Emphasize safety and low-impact recreation methods in the backcountry
- Communicate regularly with Trails Program staff and guests to obtain feedback and suggestions
- Complete timely work reports at the end of each project
- Maintenance of tools, equipment, and program facility as needed
- Drive 12-passenger vans
- As needed and as able, be available for occasional weekend work
- This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
WHAT AMC IS LOOKING FOR
- Must be at least 18 years of age (21+ years of age preferred) and hold a valid driver’s license and clear driving record required (driving record check will be performed)
- Clear criminal background check (performed by AMC Human Resources Dept.)
- Demonstrated desire to learn and develop skills relating to leadership, trail work, and conservation
- Experience backpacking, or spending extended periods of time outdoors
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to stay calm in stressful situations and maintain good decision-making skills
- Ability to set goals, prioritize tasks, assign roles to a group, assess needs and manage tasks simultaneously
- Strong self-motivation and communication skills
- Ability to carry heavy loads (80+ lbs.) for long distances
- Experience working with diverse student populations preferred
WHAT AMC CAN OFFER YOU
Salary range: $19.00 / hour
We are committed to equitable compensation practices, and we encourage qualified candidates to apply. The initial salary represents our starting point, and our compensation philosophy is designed to reward and recognize the contributions of our employees as they grow within the organization. External candidates typically begin their journey with us at the starting point of the salary range. The final compensation offer will be based on factors such as experience, education, skills and geographic differential relevant to the position, and will be discussed during the interview process.
- Room & Board: Dorm-style room for $45/week – meals included, too!
- Insurance: Available with positions that are 6 months or longer and when working greater than 32 hours per week
- Retirement: Voluntary 403(b) Contribution
- Paid Time Off: earn up to 10 days of paid earned time depending on length of service
Other Team Member Perks:
- 30% discount on AMC Merchandise
- Free Annual AMC Membership
- 4 Free nights at AMC locations
- Prodeals discounts on equipment & gear and more!
How to Apply
Please include a resume and cover letter. No phone calls or agencies, please.
AMC welcomes all qualified candidates to apply and we invite the full participation of all individuals currently underrepresented in the outdoor community. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals from racially and/or ethnically diverse communities, individuals with disabilities, individuals from LGBTQ+ communities, and individuals who experience intersectionality with one or more of these identities.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is a member of the 21 Century Conservation Corps and is a proud partner of The Corps Network. The Corps Network is the National Association of Service and Conservation Corps. The AMC is one of 130 Corps across the country that provides young adults and veterans the opportunity to serve our country through projects on public lands and in rural and urban communities.