FREE HOUSING while exploring the best NY has to offer as Lodge Crew for the Corman Harriman Center
The best NY has to offer!
- Haverstraw, New York
- $15.00 - $15.00 / hour
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (Apr 01, 2024)
Ready to dive into epic outdoor adventures and make a positive impact on the environment? Look no further than the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) - the oldest conservation, education, and recreation organization in the USA! Our passion for the outdoors knows no bounds, and we want YOU to be a part of it. As an employee, you will unlock access to exciting programs, policies, and procedures that empower you to make a real difference. Join the AMC team now and embark on the journey of a lifetime!
Dates: April 2024 - October 2024
The Corman Harriman Outdoor Center is an ideal destination for anyone looking for hiking, paddling, and camping opportunities in the heart of Harriman State Park at Breakneck Pond. Harriman State Park, New York's second largest park, is located 30 miles from Manhattan and accessible by public transportation.
AMC is seeking Lodge Crew for the Corman Harriman Outdoor Center. This entry level position works in food service and/or housekeeping and focuses on the positive guest experience. Lodge Crew working in food service support the communal dining experience at the Outdoor Center through meals and maintaining a high level of cleanliness in the front and back of house. Lodge Crew working in housekeeping ensure that guests visiting the Harriman Outdoor Center feel at home in a clean well cared for environment.
This full-time seasonal position is based at the Appalachian Mountain Club’s (AMC) Corman Harriman Outdoor Center (CHOC) in Haverstraw, NY.
What you’ll be doing at AMC
- Assist guests and visitors in a positive manner.
- Respond to any problems or special requests with a professional demeanor.
- Interact with guests regarding local information, camp amenities, organizational efforts, and programs.
- Set up, serve, and cleanup of meal service.
- Participate in the daily cleaning and upkeep of guest cabins, communal areas, and bathrooms.
- Prepare meeting spaces for special events and programs, including set up of tables, chairs, and equipment, as needed
- Help with lawn and garden maintenance
- Conduct retail sales and inventory management
- Waterfront and boating program duties including canoe/kayak/SUP care and maintenance.
- Travel and support other AMC lodges/camps as assigned.
What AMC is looking for
- Must be 18 years of age
- Past experience in camp operations, hospitality and/or work in the outdoors is preferred.
- Ability to work a varied schedule including occasional overnight shifts.
- Exceptional public service skills and a commitment to the mission of the Appalachian Mountain Club.
- Ability to perform general maintenance tasks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required.
- Prior food service experience is beneficial.
- Must be detail oriented, well organized, highly flexible, adaptable, and resourceful.
- Must be able to successfully complete the ServSafe food handling course.
- First Aid/CPR certified preferred
- Must have an acceptable driving record to operate AMC vehicles.
Physical abilities needed: Ability to operate standard office computers and machines, plus maintenance equipment. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds at the Lodge and in the backcountry. Ability to travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions.
What AMC Can Offer You
Salary range: $15.00/hourly
We are committed to equitable compensation practices, and we encourage qualified candidates to apply. The initial salary represents our starting point, and our compensation philosophy is designed to reward and recognize the contributions of our employees as they grow within the organization. External candidates typically begin their journey with us at the starting point of the salary range. The final compensation offer will be based on factors such as experience, education, skills and geographic differential relevant to the position, and will be discussed during the interview process.
- Room & Board: FREE Dorm-style room – meals included, too!
- Insurance: Available with positions that are 6 months or longer and when working greater than 30 hours per week
- Retirement: Voluntary 403(b) Contribution
- Paid Time Off: earn up to 10 days of paid earned time depending on length of service
Other Team Member Perks:
- 30% discount on AMC Merchandise
- Free Annual AMC Membership
- 4 Free nights at AMC locations
- Prodeals discounts on equipment & gear and more!
How to Apply
Please include a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
AMC welcomes all qualified candidates to apply and we invite the full participation of all individuals currently underrepresented in the outdoor community. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals from racially and/or ethnically diverse communities, individuals with disabilities, individuals from LGBTQ+ communities, and individuals who experience intersectionality with one or more of these identities.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.