AMC is looking for a Overnight Desk Assistant at the Highland Center!
Scenic mountain vistas, lush forests, serene alpine surroundings.
- Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
- $17.00 - $17.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
The Highland Center in Crawford Notch is a 34 room lodge located in the heart of the White Mountains. The lodge provides overnight accommodations for up to 138 people with a full service kitchen supplying meals in a family style or buffet setting. Highland serves a wide variety of guests but focuses on folks interested in the outdoors with multiple hiking trailheads and groomed ski trails nearby.
The Front Desk at the Highland Center is responsible for trail information, guest registration and concierge services. The front desk also stocks and runs point of sale for our retail shop located next to the front desk. Schedules can vary, but an 8-hour day is standard. This role will start as a split position and be scheduled for two (2) overnight shifts and three (3) days working dayside at the Front Desk.
What you’ll be doing:
Represent AMC at the Highland Center front desk.
- Welcome, check-in, and assist day and overnight visitors and guests.
- Accurately manage, create, or modify guest reservations for any AMC facilities as required.
- Accurately and reliably oversee the cash handling and credit card transactions on both A.M & P.M and shifts.
- Answer all incoming phone calls and respond or transfer appropriately and professionally.
- Ensure the prompt and professional handling of information requests by both volunteers and employees through a variety of means from public (phone, e-mail, in person, etc.).
- Actively promote and provide up to date information on the services and programs of the AMC and encourage membership to support AMC’s public service efforts.
- Provide accurate and knowledgeable information and advice on a variety of topics such as seasonal backcountry conditions, White Mountain National Forest opportunities and policies, backcountry supplies and equipment, and area points of interest.
Support the front desk with other initiatives
- Generate reports for the upcoming days
- Assist in the maintenance of the Highland Center’s appearance including informational brochures and resources at the main desk and associated areas and kiosks.
- Safely respond to alarm, medical, weather, illegal activity, or other emergencies while providing security for our guests, visitors, and employees. Assist in the response to search and rescue incidents by providing communication, and other resources needed to respond to backcountry emergencies.
- Provide guidance and support for volunteers to ensure the highest standards of service and productivity.
- Assist the custodial staff in cleaning windows, vacuuming, snow removal, restroom and parking lot maintenance as needed or requested.
- Attend trainings, meetings, and complete special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
What we’re looking for:
- All AMC positions require excellent guest services skills and a demonstrated commitment to the goals of the organization.
- Proven ability to successfully accomplish multiple tasks without direct supervision, required.
- Aptitude for making quick, yet well-thought-out, decisions regarding customer service standards, internal procedures and potential emergencies, required.
- Must have reliable transportation unless living onsite.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to be a team player within a detail-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Must be a person who is enthusiastic and enjoys working with the public.
- Computer competency coupled with effective typing and strong written communication skills is required. Prior knowledge of Maestro, Salesforce, Office 365 is helpful.
- Prior hospitality experience is desirable. Familiarity with the White Mountain National Forest and proactive attitude regarding AMC programs and mission is strongly preferred.
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, mornings and evenings.
- Physical requirements of this position include ability to work in an office setting, operate computers, stand for 8+ hours a day, sit, bend at waist, carry up to 30 pounds, lift up to 20 pounds from floor level to waist level.
- Enthusiasm for AMC programs and mission, required.
- CPR/WFA certification, desirable.
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary Range: $17.00 / hour
- The salary range for this position is contingent on experience, education, and skills relevant to the position. Please note that the indicated starting salary range describes the range for an incumbent in this position. New staff members typically start at the beginning of the range percentile to ensure internal salary equity.
- Onsite room + board plus meals provided for $115 per week
- Free use of AMC Destinations: 4 nights per year
- Free annual AMC membership
- Health Plan with Optional Vision + Dental Insurance when working 30+ hours per week for 6+ months
- Matching 403(b): 4% with vesting schedule
- Paid Sick Time: eligible to accrue up to 10 days
Please include a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
AMC welcomes all qualified candidates to apply and we invite the full participation of all individuals currently underrepresented in the outdoor community. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals from racially and/or ethnically diverse communities, individuals with disabilities, individuals from LGBTQ+ communities, and individuals who experience intersectionality with one or more of these identities.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.