Come teach hikers about the 8 famous AMC Backcountry Huts!
Stay, work and play in the White Mountain National Forest this spring, summer and fall!
Posted: Mar 15, 2023
- Bretton Woods, New Hampshire and Gorham, New Hampshire
- $15.00 - $15.00 / hour
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Apr 10, 2023)
SEASON DATES: APRIL 10, 2023 – NOVEMBER 9, 2023
What you’ll be doing:
- Work closely with Hut Crew Naturalists, the 8 hut leadership teams, and hut crew to ensure the accuracy and quality of all education programs based in the huts. Including mentoring hut naturalists on program development and delivery.
- Demonstrate and support “active” educational efforts in the huts including mealtime talks, daily programs, volunteer naturalists, junior naturalists, hut crew naturalists and routine communication between front-line crews and our guests.
- Develop and maintain “passive” educational materials at the huts including training manuals, on-site libraries and games, Junior Naturalist materials, education materials, posters, and displays.
- Assist in pre-season opening of huts by preparing materials and on-site set-up of displays and information.
- Meet regularly with Huts management team and Interpretive Programs Manager to monitor education efforts.
- Complete all forms including end-of-season report, site and program evaluations on a timely basis.
- Competently perform all duties and responsibilities of the Hut Crew Naturalist job description.
- Coordinate with AMC in planning and leading training sessions that are critical to success of educational programs in the huts.
- Act as an interpretive resource for staff and visitors when at the huts or in route.
- Coordinate efforts to integrate Leave No Trace principles, AMC Nature’s Notebook and AMC Risk Management Standards into hut education programs.
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary Range: $15.00 / hour
- Onsite room + board plus meals provided for a designated amount per week depending on location
- Free use of AMC Destinations: 4 nights per year
- Free annual AMC membership
- Health Plan with Optional Vision + Dental Insurance when working 30+ hours per week for 6+ months
- Matching 403(b): 4% with vesting schedule
- Paid Sick Time: eligible to accrue up to 10 days