Join the Appalachian Mountain Club in NH's White Mountains!
Multi-sport, outdoor destination unlike any other. Majestic, rustic and serene!
- Crawford Notch, NH or Gorham, NH
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (May 25, 2020)
Location: Highland Center, Crawford Notch, NH or Joe Dodge Lodge/Pinkham Notch Visitor Center, Gorham, NH in the White Mountain National Forest
Reports to: Guided Outdoors Program Manager
Job Summary: Through Guided Outdoors programming, the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) offers an engaging slate of staff-led outdoor experiences for adults, and families, which promote the appreciation, understanding, enjoyment, and responsible use of natural resources. We provide people of all ages and backgrounds with the skills to enjoy the outdoors and an increased understanding of their connection to the natural world. Our Guided Adventures predominantly lead trips for family and adults but will also be cross-trained and occasionally scheduled to work with youth groups. Schedules are varied and include all days of the week. Trips range in length, but time off and work are balanced for staff.
AMC’s Outdoor Guides lead outdoor trips and teach outdoor activities based at our Outdoor Program Centers. The Outdoor Guide also acts as an interpretive and informational resource to participants and guests, providing high-quality customer service. The Outdoor Guide reports to the Program Manager and works as part of a collaborative team of staff and volunteers. We seek a skilled outdoor guide and an energetic leader that shares a passion for the AMC mission to make the outdoors accessible to all.
Visit us online for the upcoming list of Guided Adventures: https://activities.outdoors.org/search/?grp=13&aud=3
- Lead and teach programs that focus on backcountry travel skills, safety, and local natural history, including map and compass; outdoor skills, alpine flower hikes and canoeing.
- Lead and co-lead day and multi day backpacking programs, including traveling to AMC Backcountry Huts; including 4000' hikes, Lodge to Hut trips for adults and families, and introduction to backpacking.
- Prioritize the safety of all participants and guests.
- Deliver short informative presentations daily to guests.
- Provide accurate and relevant information and advice on a variety of topics including backcountry conditions, White Mountain National Forest regulations, outdoor equipment, and area points of interest.
- Meet regularly with the Program Manager and Outdoor Guide team to assess progress and make needed changes to the program. Complete end-of-season evaluation.
- Cross-train in order to support other departments in AMC, including information desk staff and A Mountain Classroom.
- Perform all other duties within the AMC as assigned.
- Friendly, outgoing, flexible personality with a commitment and enthusiasm for leading adults, youth and families
- Demonstrated experience leading outdoor trips including backpacking, hiking, camping, canoeing, and group management
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and ability to work with adults and families across a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences
- Able to effectively collaborate and communicate with co-leaders that may have varying leadership and communication styles
- Able to create an emotionally safe and inclusive learning environment, create a positive group culture, and build healthy rapport with participants
- Able to maintain effective self-care during extended trips so as not to compromise the participant experience
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR certification (WFR preferred) or the ability to obtain certification
- Bachelor’s degree with course work in natural sciences, experiential education, or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Work requires frequent backcountry travel. Requires ability to hike 6 – 8 miles per day on uneven terrain, carrying a backpack and other equipment up to 40 pounds, in all weather conditions
- Willingness to, at times, work long hours in mentally and physically demanding conditions
- Satisfactory driving record and background check, as verified by state record check
- Willingness to obtain a DOT Medical Card to drive AMC 12 passenger vans
- Must be over 18 years old
Compensation: The Outdoor Guide position is a full-time seasonal position. Competitive pay based on experience, starting at $10.75/hr. with overtime paid. Benefits include AMC membership, bed nights at AMC facilities, employee discounts, employee pro-deals with outdoor gear companies. Optional room and board may be available for $45/week. The start date is May 25, 2020.
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your cover letter and resume when applying.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
How to Apply
Please complete our online application - click on APPLY NOW!