Join the Appalachian Mountain Club's Teen Wilderness Adventures program in NH's White Mountains!
Multi-sport, outdoor destination unlike any other. Majestic, rustic and serene!
- Gorham, NH
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Mar 14, 2018)
The Appalachian Mountain Club’s (AMC’s) Teen and College Adventure Programs Manager develops and administers wilderness adventure trips for teen and college freshmen audiences. This full-time, year-round, exempt position strikes a balance with office-based administrative duties and field-based instructional duties.
AMC’s Teen Wilderness Adventures program offers multi-element, wilderness trips to youth ages 12 to 18 during the summer season. Trips range in length from 5 to 20 days and combine different outdoor elements such as backpacking, canoeing, kayaking and rock climbing throughout the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions.
AMC’s College Wilderness Adventures program is designed to accommodate the interests of college and universities to provide outdoor-based freshmen orientation trips in the northeast. This program pairs time tested itineraries, professional instructors, logistical support networks and organizational capacity with college and university freshmen and leaders to produce wilderness trips that fulfill orientation goals.
- Develop, manage and deliver a full complement of wilderness adventure programs incorporating trips of various length, difficulty, wilderness elements and geographic areas.
- Collaborates with AMC’s communications and marketing staff in the development of print and on-line promotions.
- Provides social media content and other deliverables associated with an annual promotional plan.
- Represents program offerings professionally to internal and external constituencies (camp fairs, etc.) as a means of building support and ensuring continued success.
- Performs participant parent outreach and communications preseason and during program delivery in a professional manner.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate 15-20 seasonal field instructors along with a core team of seasonal logistics/support staff to ensure competent and effective delivery.
- Coordinates, develops and leads training sessions on experiential methods, wilderness skills, program delivery and risk management guidelines for program field instructors.
- Monitor programs through field checks, instructor debriefs and participant evaluations.
- Coordinates all program logistics with other functional AMC areas and external contractors including transportation, food, lodging, registration and meeting space.
- Ensure compliance with relevant state statutes and permitting for summer camp programs in multiple northeastern states.
- Performs rotating on-call responsibilities for the program in consort with other pertinent field staff. Bears primary responsibility for coordinating field evacuations and support of instructors.
Required Qualifications and Experience: This position requires initiative, attention to detail, strong experience in program evaluation delivery and exceptional public service skills. Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, outdoor leadership and recreation or related field.
- Driver’s license with acceptable driving record and ability to be DOT certified.
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certifications. AMC is able to provide these trainings if needed.
- Must be capable of safely traveling alone in the back-country long distances during all seasons and weather conditions and be able to carry up to 40+ pounds of equipment backpacking with ease.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
Helpful Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in environmental studies, outdoor leadership and recreation or related field.
- 2-3 year experience teaching outdoor/environmental education for teens and young adults.
- Prior outdoor education center experience, field staff supervision, knowledge base in the Northeast outdoors and teaching certifications.
- An effective team approach in a large and diverse organization.
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits.
- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution.
- A retirement plan with an employer match.
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates.
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England.
- And more!
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls please.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
How to Apply
Please complete our online application - click on APPLY NOW. Interested candidates should forward a resume along with a cover letter when applying. We look forward to hearing from you!