Join the Appalachian Mountain Club's Teen Wilderness Adventures program in NH's White Mountains!
Multi-sport, outdoor destination unlike any other. Majestic, rustic and serene!
- Gorham, New Hampshire
- $10.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Mar 01, 2018)
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America's oldest conservation, education and recreation organization, is now searching for a Logistics Coordinator! As a Logistics Coordinator, you will work on the dedicated and energetic Teen Wilderness Adventures (TWA) team with individuals who are passionate about engaging youth and connecting them with their own sense of adventure. From hiking, backpacking and rock climbing to kayaking, canoeing and rafting, the TWA Logistics Coordinator will play a key role in ensuring that youth ages 12-18 learn valuable wilderness and life skills and develop an appreciation for the environment and spirit of adventure while prioritizing safety of all participants.
Full time positions available starting on March 1st and ending on September 1st. Candidates with the availability to work through the entire season are preferred, although, candidates who are not available for the full season are still encouraged to apply. Opportunities for alternative work assignments during out-of-season periods may be available.
Starting pay is $10.00/hour, and the standard schedule is 5 days on and two days off each week, although, this may vary.
Housing and meals are available at a minimal cost to employees, however, space is limited so don’t delay in applying and reserving your spot now!
- Manage gear depot, including camping, backpacking, canoeing, individual participant gear, first aid supplies, etc. Clean, inventory, fix and restock wilderness trip gear and supplies. Keep gear depot clean and presentable for staff and participants.
- Identify logistical tasks and be self-motivated to complete them.
- Coordinate transportation (drop-offs and pick-ups) with the Vehicle Manager.
- Assist TWA field instructors with trip preparation and transitions, both in the field and at our base.
- Prepare food and gear for course resupply and transition needs.
- Transport groups, gear and supplies to area or distant trailheads.
- Assist instructors with course paperwork process which includes itinerary and transportation plans, gear and food requests and emergency information.
- Train, supervise and support the TWA Logistics Assistant.
- Attend and help deliver staff training as preparation for field and program support responsibilities.
- Assist with program emergencies and unplanned needs.
- Share in rotating on-call duties. Understand and help manage the emergency action plan should it be used.
Employment Qualifications: This position will have the freedom to improve logistical systems, sometimes creating new ones, as well as will have full authority over the gear and logistics side of the program – successful candidates will be self-starters who are able to exhibit a real sense of ownership over their work. Additionally, candidates must enjoy working independently as well as on a team. Other qualifications include:
- Prior experiences leading trips with teens on overnight outdoor adventure programs.
- Logistical skills for outdoor program planning, including meal planning, equipment management and route selection.
- Experience with emergency & non-emergency response to field requests for support preferred.
- Familiarity with the White Mountains is desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of outdoor skills.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of outdoor equipment and care.
- Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA), WFR or WEMT and CPR or the ability to obtain these certifications prior to beginning employment.
- Ability to carry a 40+ pound backpack for 3-8 miles/day over a variety of terrain in varied weather conditions.
- Satisfactory driving record and background check as verified by state record check.
- 21+ years old and ability to obtain DOT medical clearance to drive vehicles.
Employee Perks: Benefits include a 30% discount on all merchandise sold at AMC facilities and in AMC catalogs, access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates, a one-year AMC membership and 4 free nights for you and your immediately family members at AMC facilities.
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
How to Apply
Please complete our online application - click on APPLY NOW. Interested candidates should forward a resume along with a cover letter when applying. We look forward to hearing from you!